It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Incomplete puberty?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
    wbjack
    (male)

wbjack HB User
    Incomplete puberty?

Hi all, i'm wondering if it's possible to start puberty but never actually finish it? Or only experience some changes while other changes are never reached? I've been trying to find out but can never find much helpful information... it's usually assumed that once u hit puberty then its all smooth sailing, more or less, into a fully mature adult. Not so for me

I'm a 24 year old guy and i'm sure that i never actually completed puberty.. like seriously. I'm stuck looking like a 14-15 year old boy.

I basically didnt hit puberty until i was well and truly 16 years old. I experienced the main textbook changes - appearance of pubic hair, underarm hair, voice changing, increased sexual interest/ability to ejaculate. Although my voice changed initially, it still sounds quite youthful (early to mid adolescence) and not like a man in his 20s.

What i NEVER experienced to this day, that i should've, was changes in my skeletor/muscular build. Changes such as broadening shoulders, wider chest, bigger hands, a more masculine frame. Basically my body has never changed shape. I know my own body and never experienced any changes in body frame - i still have narrow thin shoulders, small chest, boney girl arms, basically the same kind of body physique as a 12 year old boy. I know that changes can occur at different times and rates.. but eventually it all catches up and you finish, certainly by the time you reach your 20s.

I also never really experienced any growth spurt.. just basically grew steadily taller until i reached my adult height (5'9). Like a child from age 8 to 10 would have steadily grown taller, although largely the same body shape, if that makes sense.

Just for reference, i haven't completely stopped further development dead in its tracks... However, the only other changes to have *gradually* occurred since is some facial hair (albeit not very thick, partial coverage, slow to grow back once shaved) and some very light chest hair. For the most part, i havent changed that much the way i look now and when i was 16. As far as my body shape, it just hasn't changed at all. I still have a youthful looking face and overall young appearance, due largely to my immature body frame.

For those who still don't get my problem.. look up Andy Milonakis, a 31 year old stuck in the body of a preteen. I consider myself like a semi-Andy Milonakis.. not a complete absence of puberty, just partially complete, and being stuck in the body of an early teen.

So any ideas, suggestions as to what might cause such abnormal puberty progression? I haven't had any medical check-ups lately, no known conditions or diseases... but wouldn't be surprised if i have something undiagnosed, so i'm open to anything no matter how unlikely it might seem.

Last edited by wbjack; 12-26-2007 at 06:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
    cleansweap
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User
    Re: Incomplete puberty?

I suppose an incomplete puberty is possible. But to comment on your case, for reasons you may have not completed puberty can be many. Such as poor nutrietion. In many 3rd. world countries, puberty is slowed down because of health and living conditions. Another reason could be genetic from birth. Maybe your mom had health problems while carrying you. Maybe she was a heavy smoker, or she was a drinker! Some parents expeirmented with drugs while carring their children, which would contribute to birth defects. For example: I'm a healthy 49 year old male, never been really sick in my life. I'm considered handsome with an althletic built, and I look 10 years younger than I am. What's the problem? well, when I was born I was the smallest of the litter, so to speak! I was a premature baby weighing in at 4.5 pounds. I was next to the last of 14 children my mother had. I was born to a very poor family, and we didn't have much. My mother had very poor nutrietion while carrying me. My mom only weighed 95 pounds herself, at the most 116 when pregnant. Well, long story short, though I'm healthy as a horse, I didn't grow very tall, and gaining weight never was an issue for me.LOL.. I credit this to a stunt in puberty/slow puberty because of our living conditions. I'm only 5ft. 4.5 inches tall. It use to kill me to be the shortest of all my friends, but I had to get use to it. I'm the smallest and the shortest of all my brothers as well.
    I am quite pleased though to be the healthiest of them all, and the most handsome.LOL. My suggestion to you is to, go get a complete physical to see just where you stand in manliness department.LOL.. And from there, get you a game plan to see if you can improve your appearance. I can't do anything about how tall I am, but I can, and have buffed up my frame/body over the years, and my appearance is great! You my friend can do the same with your small body frame. It all depends how bad you want to improve your appearance. Other than your description of your body frame/chest/arms/face, you sound pretty normal. Your body frame can always be improved with body building. I started body building as a teen, because like yourself, I was a shamed of myself because my friends seem to be growing with leaps and bounds, and I wasn't. Since then, I've had the last laugh! I look great, and I've managed to keep my youthful appearance as well. I wish you the best of luck! Be encouraged.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
    jcur12
    (male)

jcur12 HB User

To wbjack:

Quote:
    What i NEVER experienced to this day, that i should've, was changes in my skeletor/muscular build. Changes such as broadening shoulders, wider chest, bigger hands, a more masculine frame
    Quote:
    For the most part, i havent changed that much the way i look now and when i was 16.
    Amazing! I feel as if you’ve read my mind. I have been thinking the exact same thing about myself the last while.

I am also in my 20’s and I couldn’t have said it better about myself. The only difference is that I think I do have a manly voice, and I have gained a inch or two on my hip. But that’s about it.

(I have once or twice come across a person that I think has the same issue. (Maybe it was you wbjack. – this was in NY))

To cleansweap:

Quote:
    but I can, and have buffed up my frame/body over the years, and my appearance is great! You my friend can do the same with your small body frame
    I have started working out for that very reason, but I realized that as much
    as you work out, there’s only so much you’re muscles can grow. If you have small muscles you can’t get them to look like an adult’s. you cleansweap didn’t have a problem working out because your muscles have the same size and look as everyone else, (maybe a little smaller – but when you worked them out they almost look like – or maybe they do look like, a adults) you were just a little shorter.

But here the issue is the actual size of the muscles which you can’t change. Yes you can work out the muscles, but you will still be able to tell that this guy’s small. Actually I think it becomes more noticeable when you work out (at least when you’re wearing a bating suit or short sleeves).

Last edited by jcur12; 12-26-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
    cleansweap
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB Usercleansweap HB User

If you indeed have a failed/undeveloped puberty problem, again you can only make the best of what you have.
    Have any one actually made fun of you? Laughed at you before your face? Have any one mad commented to you about your size?
    Of course, people will always judge you, but that shouldn't stop you from being the best that yoy can be. It may not put you where you desire, but it will take you away from where you are. Again, be encouraged, see for sure medically where you stand. Sometimes, with medical help/harmone treatement etc. Your condition can be improved! If not, get the best out of your life by setting reach-able goals. Just think, hearing my story you saw all kind of potential that I had. You didn't see my situation like I did.
    But, regardless of how I felt about my situation, I had to act, making a decision to do what I could to build my confidence, refusing to except the way was. I don't know you but, I have confidence that you have the potential to do the same! I wish you well..

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
    wbjack
    (male)

wbjack HB User

Thanks for ur comments cleansweep, i kinda figured i'd get a reply like that.. reassurance, its not as bad as i think, etc. It doesn't work for me... i was just hoping for some medical theories, ideas why i am the way i am. I guess what i was trying to say was that during puberty you go through a number of different phases or stages... everyone is different, but any normal person will eventually finish all stages and thus complete maturity as a fully grown man or woman. I feel that i completed some stages (e.g. pubic hair, able to ejaculate), started but not finished others (e.g. voice changing), while failed to even start yet alone complete further stages (e.g. changes in body physique/shape). Put this all together and i'm stuck looking and sounding more like a boy than a mature man.. largely due to my undeveloped (yes thats the term i'm looking for) frame.

I know that if there's a complete absence or delay of puberty you can get hormone treatment.. i'm just concerned for someone who has made a start, why they never finished or even skipped certain stages? I'm pretty sure i must have some level of hormones, but is it possible there was some chemical reaction that didn't quite work when instructing my bones to grow into a man?

I'm not talking about my height, being too short or skinny.. frankly i don't care that much if i'm not muscly, athletic looking. Heck even looking a few years younger wouldn't bother me.. say if ppl thought i'm 18-19, fine. But being stuck in mid-development, not making any progress as the gap between my actual age and appearance-based age widens beyond a joke. I dont know... you just look at someone and can see they are a man, maybe estimate they are a certain age. They may be younger or older, even a fair bit older, but you can still see they're a man (17-18 years old at least). You look at me and you just can't see it.. just this scrawny little 12 year old frame, young face, annoying 15 year old voice, just so undeveloped, physically immature. I'm not really picked on or anything, but i kinda hide from the world anyway or just lie about my age (or let them assume i'm younger).. Needless to say absolutely no attention from ladies, and i really dont blame em. I've given up in that department.

And to jcur12 - you may have finished development, just didnt grow very much. Although i wont make assumptions, but if u got a more mature sounding voice and gained a little waist size then i can't relate as well. Thats what cleansweep probably thinks about me.. Although i appreciate ur support. I have related to a few ppl in the past - usually actors who still have a child body despite some changes achieved. But *ALL* of them eventually have finished and now look fully matured. But not i...

Anyway i'll plan to see a doctor soon-ish and sort it out.. i truly hope they find something wrong, cause i know i'm not right, at the very least i can say "oh i look young because i have so-and-so..." not just try to avoid the issue. And hopefully they can do something about it too. I just wanna live my life

Last edited by wbjack; 12-28-2007 at 03:23 AM.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
    jcur12
    (male)

jcur12 HB User

Working, school? How do you manage?

Last edited by jcur12; 01-13-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Closed Thread