It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Need help to lose some weight!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
    chinatown
    (male)

chinatown HB User
    Need help to lose some weight!

There are probably thousands of threads on here about this same issue, so i hope someone still gives a hand haha!

Im currently in high school, my final year, and im 17. I'm weighing in around 280, but everyone tells me i look around 200, so its quite weird. But anyways its January right now, i just got a new gym membership, and well my goals are simple, just slim down to under 240 before June. I would love to lose more as well before June, that would be really great. I just need a plan for what to do at the gym, it would be much apreciated for all your help! thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
    deardaisy
    (female)

deardaisy HB User
    Re: Need help to lose some weight!

I'm assuming you're tall and that's why people think you look like you weigh less than you do? or you're also muscular?
    Anyway, the best thing, so i have been taught, is to combine cardio and weight training exercises at the gym. Weight training helps the body burn more calories outside of the gym in everyday life. However, cardio is also very essential to burn fat. It's reccomended that at least one full half an hour be spent just doing some kind of cardio work, i.e. the treadmill or elipticall. A person's heart rate must be elevated for a certian period of time to reap real benefits from the workout. You might also want to try finding a calculator somewhere online to calculate your heart rate to also find out how much you must elevate it for the workout to be effective.
    It might be better to do the weight training before the cardio so you're not too tired to lift after, but it's up to you. It's reccomended to do at least 8 different weight lifting exercises. To start, whether it be with hand weights or on a machine, find the highest weight that you can lift for 10 repetitions and no more than 10. If you can do more than 10, increase the weight. If you can't do 10, decrease the weight. Each weight lifting session, do these 10 reps until you can increase the weight and then use that amount of weight each session until you can increase it, etc. Another option, once you find out how much weight you can lift 10 times is to do the Training Set method. You start by doing 10 reps of half the amount of maximum weight you can lift, then 10 reps of about 3/4 of that weight, and then 10 reps of the full weight.

Don't forget to monitor your food intake. You don't have to eat "diet" food, but just watch your portions, eat things that are nutritionally good for you. Eliminate as much junk and sugar as possible.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: Need help to lose some weight!

1. You can't lose weight by cardio; you can only gain conditioning

2. You can't lose weight by lifting; you can only build bone and muscle which will actually make you gain weight.

3. Losing weight requires knowing why you are gaining it. There are three basic reasons for gaining weight.

(a) increased cortisol (a hormone that is produced by stress) and associated with poor sleep habits, stressful activities (including over exercising), a disease process (Addison's), or taking the hormone for medical purposes. You need to get in a regular sleep habit, reduce stress by moderate exercise, and in general--be happy with yourself. If you need to lose weight then set that goal, but don't do it because you feel bad about yourself, do it because its healthy for you.

(b) sugar intolerance -- sugar (breads, flour, cereals, fruits, starches) are processed by some people so efficiently that they turn the excess to fat (yes sugar goes in, and your body makes fat--fat does not make you fat, sugar does). If you are one of these people, you must reduce sugar to near zero and you will begin to lose weight.

(c) over eating -- remember the bears, they eat sugar in the fall to store fat for the winter. When your body sees sugar it assumes it must store it for the coming winter. Sugar makes us hungry because we are desperate to store fat for the winter, so we eat more sugar. Over eating is easy in the presence of sugar, it is not easy with no sugar. You must reduce what you eat to lose weight, it is the ONLY way. Cutting back sugar will make that easier. [Technically, sugar in your blood causes insulin to be forced into your blood, which forces the sugar to low levels which then makes you hungry to replace the sugar, which causes more insulin - repeat until fat]

NOTE: you can't count of exercise to lose weight. A single apple contains about 100 calories and you must run hard for one mile to burn those calories. But the average male needs about 2000 calories a day. That means you have to run 20 miles a day to just break even. Most people can't run 1/2 a mile without being exhausted so you are not going to do 20 every day. AND if you eat that double piece of cake, that's 500 calories or that supersized coke is 250 calories. You would be running 24/7 just to break even, never mind lose weight. Many studies have shown that exercise can actually cause people to gain weight, because over weight people often become exhausted and hungry and so eat more after exercise than they burn (which you can see is very easy when a single piece of cake takes 2.5 miles of hard running.

So, what to do?

1. cut out sugar, after a week you will stop craving it

2. exercise to keep your blood sugar down and to remain fit (but beware, it also causes you to be hungry, so don't over do it)

3. snack on low sugar items when ever you feel hungry (nuts, carrots, sugar free jello with whipped cream)

4. cut back on what you eat - take a burger, cut it in half and stack the contents while throwing away 1/2 the bun (sugar) - have a salad instead of french fries or potato - pick low sugar alternatives - drink water instead of expensive soft drinks

5. if you are hungry - eat!! temptation is too great when you are hungry and its so easy to give in (just don't eat sugar - it will make you hungry again)

6. lose weight for you, because you are worth it, you deserve to feel better and to be healthier.

REMEMBER - if you are a sugar person, losing weight is for life. Studies show that 95% of people regain lost weight within 5 years IF they go back to their old habits. You must resolve to stick with low sugar and moderate exercise for life. Weight loss habits aren't just for 3 months, its forever!

Last edited by orion; 04-03-2009 at 01:45 AM.

Closed Thread