It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• My 15 year old daughter has migranes only at menstrual time!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
    HelplessInKY
    (female)

HelplessInKY HB User
    Unhappy My 15 year old daughter has migranes only at menstrual time!

She has missed alot of school over this, Please help! She is 15 and for 2 years the week before and the week during her menstrual cycle, she has horrible migranes, she wants to sleep all day and night (I have even tried putting cold wash rags on her face to help wake her up), sick at her stomach, and she when she does get up she looks like she can barely hold herself up. Ok this what I have tried: I took her to her doctor and no results, I took her to an OBGYN and they tried her on two different kinds of birth control that made the migranes and the other stuff 10x worse, then they put her on the Depo Shot and she took one and I didnt take her back cause things got 10x times worse to. At that time I thought she was allergic to birth control or something so I moved on and took her to a neuroligist (head doctor) they did all the testing and said they seen nothing but he put her on Migrane medicine that she has to take everyday and its not working and neither did any of the other migranes medicine that doctors have gave her. I have done everything I can think of to get my daughter to where she can be a normal teenager! Im really thinking it is something wrong hormones wise or im even taking her to the dentist, but that should not be it when she just got her braces of last year! Please give me some idea's, I want to help her but I am to the point now I dont know what to do for her!! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
    Choice
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Choice HB User
    Re: My 15 year old daughter has migranes only at menstrual time!

My mother suffered with menstrual migraines all the way up until menopause. and I used to have weekly migraines when I was in high school. I know how debilitating this can be.

It may take a lot of time and research to put a end to her suffering. I personally would start with the natural approach...traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture, diet, etc. Few of us realize it, but one cause of menstrual migraines is low levels of vitamin D and calcium. Research the Weston A. Price Foundation.

If the natural approach doesn't work, I would then take her to an endocrinologist. If you have the option, I would choose one that specializes in pediatric endocrinology or a reproductive endocrinology, but both are hard to find.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
    HelplessInKY
    (female)

HelplessInKY HB User
    Re: My 15 year old daughter has migranes only at menstrual time!

Thank you for your reply it was so helpful.

Closed Thread