It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• Son Wants Me To Allow Him To Be Tased...Is It Safe?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User
    Son Wants Me To Allow Him To Be Tased...Is It Safe?

I know that this is an unusual question but i promised my son that i would try to find out for him. I hope that its ok to post my question here because i really didn't know what, if any board that i could post it on & since my son is 18 years old i figured that the "Teen" board may be the most appropriate.

This is whats going on. For some "ungodly" reason my 18 yr son seems to have this weird fasination with what it would feel like to be tased. Hes been talking about this for about a year now. It first started when somebody told him, not sure if it was a friend from school or what, but somebody told him that in order to become a Police Officer that all Police Officers have to go through being tased. He is interested in becoming a Police Officer after he graduates & after college. This is the career choice that he has made for himself. I don't know how true it is about Police Officers having to be tased. Just doesnt sound right to me but i honestly do not know.

When my son asked me if i would allow him to be tased, by a friend, you can imagine my reaction. I said "NO"! Because 1. I couldn't bare the thought of knowing that somebody was doing something to my son that was going to cause him pain, whether my son wanted this or not. And 2. With everything that i've read on the internet & heard on the news about people, kids, etc dying from being tased, i couldn't help but wonder if he was a tad bit crazy! I honestly do not know where this fasination came from with him wanting to be tased. I asked my son "Why?!" I asked him "Why would you want to do this to yourself after all that you hear in the news about people dying from this?" His answer was "I just want to know what it feels like". I cant understand this. It really concerns me though & i'm not sure what to make of it.

I certainly would never allow a "friend" of his to do it. But who does this? Not that i would even consider it.

Does anybody know anything about being tasered & how safe or dangerous it is? I highly doubt its safe, as my son is claiming. My son is claiming that the only people that are dying from this is the elderly, sick, etc. Can anybody help me with these questions so that i may show this to him? Because i'd really like for him to forgot about it & give it a rest already. Its only my opinion but i really believe that tasering is very dangerous. Can anybody please help? Thank you for any replies in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
    Mari526
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mari526 HB User
    Re: Son Wants Me To Allow Him To Be Tased...Is It Safe?

Tasing is not safe, in fact many police depts. are now changing their policies as to when and in what situation a taser can be used. I'm sure they're following suit with their practice of tasing each other during training.

The problem with a taser is it disrupts the electrical conduction of the heart. Unfortunately, if someone has a preexisting cardiac condition, the act of tasing can lead to death.

Many times these cardiac conditions are not known to the individual. How can you be sure who has these conditions? There are too many variables to feel safe with tasing.

Therefore, I would tell your son that it just is not safe.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-20-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: please try to avoid leaving long quotes in your replies

Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Mari526...Thank you so much for your reply, i really appreciate it.
    Yes, this is exactly what i've been trying to explain to my son, about the pre-existing cardiac conditions that he may not even be aware of. But for some "ungodly" reason he wont listen to reason so i'm going to show him any & all replies that i may get on this thread & then hopefully he will change his mind because unfortunately i cant stop him because he is 18 but i can try to change his mind & educate him on the dangers of tasering. I really think its just a morbid curiousity for him about this whole thing. I sure hope it passes! He's a very good kid/young adult & he usually always listens to what i say & i really dont think it will be that big of an issue but at the same time i just wanted to be fair with him & express my concerns for his well being & safety. I dont want him to feel like i am telling him no just for the sake of telling him no. And you know how teenagers/young adults can be, i can tell him something & he wont believe it to be fact but if he hears the exact same thing from somebody else than all of the sudden its the gospel lol. Kids!
    Thanks again for your reply. Take care.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
    Angelique43
    (female)

Angelique43 HB User

Hi everybody...I now need to "revise" this thread. I was talking to my son tonight at the dinner table & i was sharing with him the one reply that i'd gotten here & he informs me that he doesnt want to be tasered by the type of tasers that the cops use, Which i think, as he explained it to me is a taser that is attached to some type of wire & when a person is tasered it is actually shot out at the person, kinda like a dart. My son tells me that he wants to be tasered by the hand held tasers that you just reach out & zap the person but nothing detaches from the taser. So, does anybody know the dangers, if any from these type tasers? It still doesnt sound safe to me & i dont want him to do it but he seems bent on the idea Ugh! I asked him again tonight why he wants to be tasered & he just says that he just wants to know what it feels like. I just dont understand this .
    I would really appreciate any input or advice on this matter. I dont see myself changing my mind, my answer is NO! lol
    Thanks again.

Closed Thread