It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board

• First doctor visit

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
    sharryde
    (female)

sharryde HB User
    First doctor visit

My aunt just signed on to these boards and I have a question. I need a physical before college next month. Will I be expected to have my first pelvic exam too??? I am not sexually active yet! Does it hurt for a virgin to be examined? What can I expect...I have never even had to take any clothes off at the Doc before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
    frankieswife
    (female)

frankieswife HB Userfrankieswife HB User
    Re: First doctor visit

Generally a woman should go to the gyno for a pelvic exam when she becomes sexually active or when she turns 18, whichever comes first. I don't think a doctor can require you to do so, but it is just a healthy recommendation he/she may make. During a pelvic exam the doctor will take a pap smear, which is used to test for cervical cancer, infection or abnormal cervical cells. So you don't necessarily have to be sexually active to get this exam. I would say it may be a little more uncomfortable if you are a virgin, due to the fact that your vagina is tighter. However, the pelvic exam is a very quick thing and good to ensure your overall health as a woman.

Closed Thread