It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Dont know if I am being treated correctly

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #1
landostrong
(male)

landostrong HB User
Exclamation Dont know if I am being treated correctly! Please Advise me!!!

I am a 26 year old male and 2 months ago i was brushing my teeth and found a lump on the left side of my throat. it scared me so much that i went straight to the doctor who confirmed it was my thyroid that was inflammed and got me an ultrasound. The ultrasound found 3 nodules on the left side of my thyroid and they were big enough and suspicious enough to warrant a fine needle biopsy. So i get to the endocrinologist and we biopsy all three. the one overlapping my windpipe was calcified and atypical in shape. it hurt like heck to get the needle into that one. I had to wait ten days for results. in the meantime the doctor puts me on ritalin 60mg to keep me up during the day (i only had the energy for work for 5 hours max), wellbutrin 300mg(as a stimulant and for motivation), and prozac 40mg(for ocd and mood). Yes it woke me up however once the stimulants wore off i was back to normal fatigued me. The biopsy came back with 2 benign nodules and the one on the windpipe being inconclusive and requiring another biopsy 6 months from now. All that i got to solve this issue was that i had a multinodular goiter and that all my symptoms were from a head injury (subdural hematoma) i suffered 4 years ago that intensified the depression that was already there. He said that none of my symptoms were due to the thyroid disorder. my t3 and t4 levels were slightly elevated a while back but tsh was normal at the time. I dont know if I should get a second opinion but i do not think using ritalin to treat fatigue this extreme is a good option. ive been depressed before and never been that tired in my whole life. what should i do?

Last edited by landostrong; 04-30-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
MsMcK
(female)

MsMcK HB User
Re: Dont know if I am being treated correctly! Please Advise me!!!

If you're not happy with your diagnoses or our questioning things your doctor has told you, then go get a second opinion!! If you're not happy with that, then get a third opinion!! You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health. Was the doctor you went to see an endocrinologist?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
landostrong
(male)

landostrong HB User

Yes he was an endo. However his reviews say that he does that a lot to multinodular patients with hypo symptoms. He treats with ritalin and says it's all in your head and you're depressed. I am working on getting a second opinion and have requested my reports. Just have to wait to see my primary on Wednesday to get a referral for updated lab results for a full thyroid panel with antibodies, etc. and a referral to another endocrinologist. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
MsMcK
(female)

MsMcK HB User

Glad to hear that you are seeking another opinion. So many people today just accept the diagnosis of their doctor and continue to suffer. I was one of those people, until I just couldn't take it anymore and came to the realization that my doctor was a human just like me and that just because he went to medical school didn't make him an expert on my health and well being! I began searching for my own answers and came across Healthboards. I'm new as a member, but I've been reading posts for years. The posts on here really helped me and gave me the confidence to question my doctors and fight for my health! I found a great general practitioner that actually listens to me and works with me. I have hypothyroidism and recognized my symptoms through other posts on this sight. I suffered for four years with symptoms, but my TSH always fell within the "normal range". It wasn't until it finally creeped out of that range that a doctor would treat me. Once I received treatment, I felt great! Now whenever I feel those symptoms coming back, I'm at my GP telling him to do a full thyroid panel and checking all my levels. He laughs at me and instead of calling me Mrs., he calls me Dr., but he listens to me and works with me.

The Following User Says Thank You to MsMcK For This Useful Post:
landostrong (05-01-2015)
Closed Thread

Tags
thyroid biopsy, thyroid cancer, thyroid disorder