It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New here and question about results.

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
    emileekay
    (female)

emileekay HB User
    New here and question about results.

I am 28 weeks pregnant. I have always had symptoms of hypothyroidism. I gain weight easy, constant state of being tired, slow digestion, low body temperature, etc. I have been on a thyroid tissue supplement for about 2 years now. Last week I started at a new general practitioner, and based on my past symptoms the Dr wanted to test my TSH, T3 & T4. The doctor called and told me my levels indicated hypERthyroidism but didn't really elaborate. After talking with my Midwife, I decided to get off my supplements for a few days (four) and get my blood redrawn. I got my results back today.

Tsh - 0.01 Reference Range - 0.40-4.50 mIU/L
    T4, FREE - 1 Reference Range - 0.8-1.8 NG/DL
    T3, FREE - 2.6 Reference Range - 2.3-4.2 PG/ML

I was referred to a Endocrinologist and I can not get an appointment before mid September. I am due to have my baby in October so it isn't going to really help me. I had a growth scan for the baby and he is measuring a week ahead so it doesn't seem to be affecting his weight gain at all.

Can someone give me an idea of what is going on?! How can someone have so many hypo symptoms but have hyper tsh? Could the supplements be making this happen? Even after 4 days of being off them? The pregnancy? Are my T3 and T4 readings on the lower end of average or are they ok? I am confused and do not have much guidance in this. Obviously my main concern is my growing child.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2015, 06:05 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: New here and question about results.

What does your gynecologist say? They are accustomed to seeing what happens to tsh and other levels in pregnant people and would know if it's worrisome. Your tsh is low, but you are not "hyperthyroid" based upon the other levels.

I would discuss with my gyno, and if there's something alarming with that tsh, try to get into a reproductive endocrinologist since you are pregnant. Fortunately you are in range, so baby should be ok, I think the babies take what they need from you to make sure they are safe.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
    emileekay
    (female)

emileekay HB User

My Midwife says the tsh is low and also referred me to an endocrinologist. I feel like I wont have answers until this baby is born with how long they are having me wait for an appointment...

Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
    Robbie0710
    (female)

Robbie0710 HB UserRobbie0710 HB User

Hi,

Do you feel hyper? I believe you are feeling hypo, correct. Most patients who feel well state that the TSH becomes irrelevant after suppression of thyroid. You most probably feel hypo because your free t3 and t4 are both on the lower end of their ranges. Please talk with the endo about your free t3 and t4 ranges before discussing lowering your dose of t4 medications. I agree with Reece visit your ob Gyn too discuss your TSH, but don't get too involved with the TSH and discuss your frees along with your symptoms. Of course this is just my opinion. Glad baby and you are doing well.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
    kanded
    (female)

kanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB Userkanded HB User

While I have had midwives before, for my last pregnancy, as I was older and had more health issues, I decided to have a OB/Gyn. Whenever you have an illness that precedes pregnancy, your pregnancy should be watched closely by a professional that handles childbirth as well as has been taught what to do with a high risk pregnancy. There are high risk pregnancy OBs that seem to have more knowledge about what meds to prescribe a pregnant woman. A midwife is wonderful for the actual childbirth, but you may want to go to see an OB also to have all the bases covered. A midwife has not been to medical school, so while they know a lot about babies and pregnancies, they don't have the medical background to be able to tell you what to do with a thyroid condition. Understanding thyroid is hard enough in the best of circumstances. I don't want to alarm you, bout you should expect as your pregnancy gets more advanced that your levels will fluctuate more as conditions are more pronounced in pregnancy. For example, if you are diabetic pre-pregnancy, you can expect your sugar levels to be less under control requiring more meds during your pregnancy.
    One major website says on pregnancy and hypothyroidism:
    "The treatment goal of hypothyroidism in pregnancy is to maintain a thyroid hormone level within high normal range." That means that you want to keep taking your medicine so that your levels come in slightly higher than normal. Its more dangerous for the baby for your hormone levels to be low than high. I'm not in a position to be giving you advice on your meds, so the best thing would be to find yourself a high risk OB/GYN, or at least a medical dr who can treat your hypothryoidism during your pregnancy.
    Wishing you the best for you and your new baby!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

Who referred you to the endo? Can they call and make the appointment for you? Sometimes an earlier appt can be made that way especially if the office explains the situation.

Like others have already stated, I too would be more comfortable being seen by an OB or endo that specializes in thyroid disease during pregnancy. If you can't get in earlier, your GP may be able to guide you re dose changes and monitoring.

Reply Reply

Tags
    low tsh, pregnancy