It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 49 yr old female - need help with lab results

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-31-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
    football65
    (female)

football65 HB User
    49 yr old female - need help with lab results

Hi,
    I'm a healthy, active 49 year old female. I went in for my annual physical a couple weeks ago and told the doc about feeling pain in the front of my neck. She ran blood work to check my Thyroid and here are the numbers. I have also been feeling very fatigued (unusual for me - i run, cycle or golf almost every day). My weight is normal - 130. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to hear back from her about this and am beginning to worry because the pain in my neck is not going away. From what I've read, this looks like hyperthyroid, but I have no clue.

TSH - .05 (expected .35-5.50)
    T3, free - 4.60 (expected 2.30-4.2)
    T4, free - 1.71 (expected .90 - 1.80)
    Thyroglobulin peroxidase ab - <60 (expected 0-60)
    Thyrotropin stiumulating hormone receptor ab, sr - <1.00 (expected 0.00-1.75)

All my other blood work was normal, expect vitamin D which is always low and I keep forgetting to take my supplements - for the past 4 years it has been at 17 or lower.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: 49 yr old female - need help with lab results

Yes, you are hyperthyroid. The suppressed TSH and high-normal free T levels show that.

The pain in your thyroid points to a transient type of thyroiditis, perhaps "subacute" T'itis. Most of the time, the chronic autoimmune type (Graves' disease) wouldn't cause much gland pain the way subacute does. Still, it would be useful to ask for a TSI test, which would reveal the antibody responsible for GD.

I'm not well-versed in treatment of thyroiditis of the non-Graves' type. But hopefully, this will give you something to go on till you can talk with your MD.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    football65 (09-01-2015)
    Old 08-31-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: 49 yr old female - need help with lab results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Yes, you are hyperthyroid. The suppressed TSH and high-normal free T levels show that.

The pain in your thyroid points to a transient type of thyroiditis, perhaps "subacute" T'itis. Most of the time, the chronic autoimmune type (Graves' disease) wouldn't cause much gland pain the way subacute does. Still, it would be useful to ask for a TSI test, which would reveal the antibody responsible for GD.

I'm not well-versed in treatment of thyroiditis of the non-Graves' type. But hopefully, this will give you something to go on till you can talk with your MD.
    Many people with autoimmune Hashimoto thyroitis begin with a hyperthyroidism that turns to hypothyroidism after a couple of years. I would make sure you get an antiTG done on blood tests, since the pain would indicate thyroiditis, and EITHER TPO or TG antibodies can be elevated. A thyroid ultrasound may be helpful too to see size and texture of gland, and look for nodules.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    football65 (09-01-2015)
    Reply Reply