It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help - Going down hill ... Low levels

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
    ik634
    (female)

ik634 HB User
    Help - Going down hill ... Low levels

Tests since 2012 with the latest test Sept 30 2015

TSH
    0.50 - 5.20 mcIU/mL
    6/7/12 5.11
    5/31/13 5.04
    7/9/13 1.01
    8/29/13 3.40
    11/14/13 0.30
    6/24/14 6.20
    9/30/15 0.04

Free FT4
    0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL
    5/31/13 1.0
    7/9/13 0.7
    8/29/13 0.8
    11/14/13 0.8
    11/14/13 0.8
    6/24/14 0.9
    6/24/14 0.9
    9/30/15 0.8

Free FT3
    2.3 - 4.2 pg/mL
    5/31/13 2.9
    8/29/13 2.8
    6/24/14 2.7
    9/30/15 2.7

I felt so much better at first on Natural Throid 1 grain to 1 1/2 grains but before taking I was literally couch bound (not enough energy to get up stairs) I thought I was dying. I know my levels aren't as bad as others but I can't even describe how horrible I felt. I have some other medical issues too so that plays into it.

Still 57 to 67 pounds overweight, never lost any since since starting
    Still tired but not exhausted
    Hair loss (excessive) is intermittent
    Depression issues on and off (more on than off)

MD wants to put me on statins because of my LDL,HDL,Total Cholesterol - I am against it
    My BP is much higher than normal (all thru my 20' and 30's I had really low BP)
    Doctor wants me on BP meds - I would rather not

I am 90 percent gluten and casein free (sugar is my big downfall)

If you can provide any direction I would greatly appreciate it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Help - Going down hill..... Low levels, MD is a &[email protected]*

Hi there. Im not sure why you dont like your doctor, or why you called him names- there is obviously more to this story...but,
    Your doctor is trying to treat both your high bp and your cholesterol and apparently you arent interested. You admit to needing to lose weight~ which will help naturally, but you also need to get these two levels under control before the bigger damage to your organs occurs.
    If you are so against taking statins or a BP med, this is your choice, but do you have another suggetion? Some people do try to fight this naturally- and if you have a plan, maybe your doctor will work with you for a time, to see if you can do it without medication.
    If you cant- and you still wont go on prescription drugs, its not your doctor who will be responsible as your health will continue to deteriorate.
    Good luck. I hope you can find a solution which makes you happy. Your levels suggest that you need to do something to get this under control- but only you can make that choice.
    MSNIk

Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
    ik634
    (female)

ik634 HB User
    Re: Help - Going down hill ... Low levels

Sorry I wasn't clear
    It is next to impossible to write a full report of what is going on without making it a mini novel

My MD is being a pain (that is all I meant in the title) as he wants me off my thyroid meds because my TSH is so low

I won't go on Statins because they are horrendously bad for you
    BP meds would probably be unnecessary if I could loose some weight

I am always willing and happy to work with my MD.
    I like my doctor as a person but don't feel he or the other MD's in the practice that I see are as willing to get to the problem and fix it as they are to medicate it.
    This practice is the 3rd one for me in five years in my search for someone that will work with to solve the issues

Old 10-04-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

So can you clarify one more thing?
    Are you still taking natural thyroid, or were you switched to levothyroxine (Synthroid or its like)?
    If you're still taking natural thyroid, your TSH is bound to be suppressed. If you MD doesn't understand that, I'm surprised he prescribes NDT in the first place.

That said...
    It isn't a given that weight is automatically lost once one is in thyroid treatment. One still needs to put concerted effort into it - maybe even more effort that a healthy person without hypothyroidism. I only mention this in case your expectations are too great.

But your free Ts are both at the bottoms of the typical ranges ... A sure sign that you haven't reached your optimal dose of thyroid med. It would be hard for almost anyone to speed up their metabolism enough to burn excess calories.
    Your other lingering symptoms seem to confirm your dose is too low.

If, on the other hand, your TSH is suppressed on levothyroxine, you might have a very hard time getting an MD to ignore that and raise the dose enough to optimize your free T levels.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
    ik634
    (female)

ik634 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    So can you clarify one more thing?
    Are you still taking natural thyroid, or were you switched to levothyroxine (Synthroid or its like)?
    If you're still taking natural thyroid, your TSH is bound to be suppressed. If you MD doesn't understand that, I'm surprised he prescribes NDT in the first place.

That said...
    It isn't a given that weight is automatically lost once one is in thyroid treatment. One still needs to put concerted effort into it - maybe even more effort that a healthy person without hypothyroidism. I only mention this in case your expectations are too great.

But your free Ts are both at the bottoms of the typical ranges ... A sure sign that you haven't reached your optimal dose of thyroid med. It would be hard for almost anyone to speed up their metabolism enough to burn excess calories.
    Your other lingering symptoms seem to confirm your dose is too low.

If, on the other hand, your TSH is suppressed on levothyroxine, you might have a very hard time getting an MD to ignore that and raise the dose enough to optimize your free T levels.
    Still on NT before that I was on Armour.
    I don't expect weight to fall off by any means, healthy diet and exercise are all part of my routine.
    Hoping to get some insight here regarding my numbers

Thanks

Reply Reply