It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Nodule

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
    issa76
    (female)

issa76 HB User
    Thyroid Nodule

Can I insist that my thyroid nodule is removed even if it is not cancer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Thyroid Nodule

If the nodule is very large and is constricting your airway or esophagus, you probably will easily be able to find a surgeon who'll agree to remove the lobe of the gland that contains it. Nodules themselves cannot be excised.
    If the nodule is below 1 centimeter in size, it will be much harder to find a surgeon to remove it.

The truth is, it's inaccurate to say a large, biopsied nodule is not cancer. There can be areas within it that were missed with the needle. The only definitive way to know is to remove the gland and do a pathology on it.

There are risks to thyroidectomy. It shouldn't be done unnecessarily.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
    issa76
    (female)

issa76 HB User

I had a biopsy, I get the results 12/4. The nodule 2 cm. No calcification, but I am so worried, I just want it gone.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

In that case, I think a surgeon will take your worry into consideration and go ahead with removal.
    I should stress... It's very unlikely to be cancer... About 95% higher or better that it isn't. And should it happen to be, it's 95% or higher odds of cure.

Do your homework about the surgery. You'll need to decide if you only want the half with the nodule removed or the whole gland. It may not make a difference in whether you will need thyroid replacement med or not, however. Sometimes, the remaining half gland can pick up the load; probably more often, it cannot.

You ideally want an experienced ENT who does several thyroid surgeries per week, many per year.

Best of luck with it!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    issa76 (12-02-2015)
    Reply Reply