It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• In need of some direction

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User
    In need of some direction

I'm a 26 year old male in need of some direction. About 8 months ago I went to see doctor cause I was have severe chest pain around were the sternum and ribs meet. I also was having some swelling in my neck around the thyroid. My energy levels were down, I was feeling cold all the time. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid and started on levothyroxine 50. I was instructed to take otc vitamin d 5000 iu cause my vitamin to levels were at 22. Also my platelet count was slightly below average. Now eight months later i'm still not feeling much better. Here some numbers to look at from latest lab after being on medication levothyroxine 50:
    free t4 1.10
    tsh 2.120
    microsome antibody, thyroid 3.6
    vitamin d, 25 hydroxyl 36.6
    I just feel like maybe its time to start looking elsewhere and the doctors just tell me I'm just stressed. My wife and I are ready to start having kids and we are just really waiting on my health to get were it needs to be.
    Current symptoms from worse bothersome to least
    Brain fog/headaches/numb, tingly, itching scalp/lack of energy/reoccurring chest pain/dry skin/super cold all the time(low body tempature)/occasional soreness in armpit/hard stools/hair thinning

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: In need of some direction

You could use a dose increase. Fifty mcgs is the lowest one possible.
    Your TSH is higher than the average healthy person's, and your FT4 is still below lab median [if its upper lab range is the typical 1.8; provide that here if you know it.]
    Combined, that means you should be allowed at least a trial increase to 75 mcgs.
    I think it will help.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User

Ok thanks for the response. I just Miss my old energetic self. I'll bring it up to my doctor. Is there any other test you recommend? I've also thought about suggesting him test my adrenal glands.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

You are too young to feel robbed of energy like this though of course it is sad at any age.

After years of hypothyroid treatment, I would say you must be your own advocate. For most docs I get the impression that if your numbers look ok-then they have done what they can. If your doc isn't responsive then you may need to move on.

I agree with midwest you need to push for the dose increase. About the adrenals- my harvard educated endo pooh poohed all the adrenal stuff. I no longer go to her but I think many docs share her sentiment. I would suggest getting your levels a bit better with the 25mcg increase and see how you feel then.

Regarding tests it would be helpful if you could push for free t3 and free t4 levels--more open minded mainstream docs will sometimes do this. What it can tell you is whether you are converting your t4 into the active t3 hormone. Some people (like me) are poor converters and no matter how high you go on intake of t4 and free t4 level--you can be bottom of the range on the useable/active hormone t3.

If however your doc balks at the dose increase OR you get the increase and the testing and don't feel better--you still have options. You could see another doc and inquire about changing to Armour thyroid hormone which also includes t3 the active thyroid hormone. For some (like me) the t3 if you are deficient can be like getting just what you need-for me it was like the light was back on in my brain and there was energy again. I am still working out the balance taking both some synthroid and some armor-though this is less complicated than it sounds if you have a cooperative doc.

You have come to a good place to get info--you could also read Thyroid for the Complete Idiot and Thyroid for Dummies. If I remember correctly the idiot book had more discussion re free t3 and free t4 and discussion of Armour BUT both books are good. My library had them so yours might too.

About starting a family...I have read on here about women with hypo having trouble conceiving and I believe the miscarriage risk is higher. Whether this would affect your ability is something you should talk with your doc about and read up on. Also you should find out the cause of your hypo. In most cases it is hashimoto's an autoimmune condition that runs in families. You would have a TPO antibody test to determine this. Again you probably want to know this as it could be passed onto your children. Very possible others in your family are hypo--have you checked with your parents, siblings and extended family?

Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User

Thank you for the advice. My brother is hypo as well. A good friend of my wife's said she felt like crap until she found a doctor that would prescribe the armour thyroid.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User

The microsomal antibody I posted in my original post is that the same thing as the tpo antibody test you advised me take?

Old 12-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

I have previously only heard and seen the test referred to as the TPO (thyroid peroxidase) antibodies test but if one goes on line you can see alternate names for this test and some appear close to the test you referenced. But you would have to check with your doc or the lab to confirm it is the same test.

Also, could you include the lab reference range for the antimicrosmal test you referred to in your post?

Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
    ds89
    (male)

ds89 HB User

Latest and only lab a have. I've discarded previous ones. No lab reference ranges were provided on my copy

Sodium 142
    Potassium 4.2
    Chloride 104
    Co2 total 27
    Anion gap 11.0
    Glucose serum 83
    BUN 12
    Creatinine 0.78
    Est gfr >60
    Calcium 9.6
    Calcium, corrected 9.2
    Protein total 7.0