It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Side effects of a dose change ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
    Jlgcoffee
    (female)

Jlgcoffee HB User
    Side effects of a dose change ...

I have noticed that every time I change my thyroid dose, I experience symptoms from week 2-5. I am curious if others have noticed the same. Unforunately, I am still trying to find the right dose, which I think I'm finally close to reaching. Here are some of the symptoms; water retention, fatigue & constipation. Even though I'm getting close to the right dose, i'm assuming the syptoms return while the thyroid is adjusting. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Is this true?

Last edited by Jlgcoffee; 01-01-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Side effects of a dose change ...

It is true. It's extremely common for there to be both ups and downs with each dose titration.

My own particular pattern went like this:
    Dose increase -
    No improvement for 2 weeks -
    Then improvement for 2 weeks -
    Then worsening of symptoms for the last 2 weeks until the next bloodwork and dose increase
    At each increase, the 'highs' got higher and the 'lows' less deep until my optimal dose was finally reached. That took me a year.
    How long have you been working at it?

I've been a member here for 13 years and have seen many instances of this same pattern from others.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
    Jlgcoffee
    (female)

Jlgcoffee HB User

Thank you for your response!

I was diagnosed in December of 2013. So its been a very long road. My biggest problem has been finding a physician that knows how to properly treat. For a long time my PCP and one of the endos I went to didn't even check the Free T3 & T4's. I only recently discovered an endo that has Hashis herself, is open minded, follows Free T's vs. TSH and treats patients individually. She is the one that was open to adding Cytomel to NatureThroid. She looked back at my last three labs and agreed that I was not properly converting. I am finally starting to feel better. My latest dose adjustment was minor and I was hoping to avoid the return of symptoms. When she started me on 5mcgs of Cytomel she kept me on the 81.25mgs of NatureThroid. After eight weeks, I had terrible fatigue etc. As i researched further, I/she should have lowered my NatureThroid as the Cytomel is four times more potent. So my most recent change was lowering the NatureThoid to 65mgs and keeping the 5mcgs of Cytomel. I am praying that this is my dose! FINGERS CROSSED!

Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Keep researching! See how it helped you in just this one instance?
    This doctor sounds amazing, but even one like her should be checked up on.

My fingers will be crossed for you, too! Let us know how it goes for you moving forward.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Jlgcoffee (01-02-2016)
    Old 01-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
    Jlgcoffee
    (female)

Jlgcoffee HB User

Thank you! I will definitely keep you posted.

Reply Reply