It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
    krobison
    (female)

krobison HB User
    Hypothyroid

About a year ago, i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Felt fine when the doctor checked my levels, maybe a little tired at times. She put me on a low dose of synthroid, and increased a few months later. I started getting more tired, and my body always seems to be aching. Im currently in nursing school and failed my last semester due to always being tired and couldn't pay attention. Ive always had energy and was 130 lbs, now im over 150!! Ive been on a gluten-free diet and cut my calories in half, but it does no good. I just switch to levo because of the price and i feel its making me even worse than synthyroid. My work, school, and relationship is being affected by my thyroid problems. When trying to discuss this with my doctor, she blames the disease. But, im beginning to think its the medication! Wish there was something I could do to lose this weight and be happy with my body and my emotions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hypothyroid

Not all levothyroxines work the same way for every person. If you feel the generic isn't working as well as the name brand, it would be worth going back. Other name brands that might work well and be cheaper than Synthroid are available, too. Check with your pharmacist for your other options.

Insist on having labs run again, including not just TSH but free T4 and free T3. If the free Ts are not at least lab median, demand a dose increase. Healthy people with no thyroid disease typically have FT levels within the upper half to third of their lab ranges.

Fifty mcgs is considered the standard starting dose for a person under 55 or 60 years old. If that's what you're taking, you're definitely justified in asking for an increase to 75 mcgs. You may need additional increases later, if that doesn't help.

Last edited by midwest1; 01-26-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    hypothyroidism, levothyroxine, synthroid, thyroid, weight gain