It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hyper - being taken off methamazole?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #1
    (female)

12371121 HB User
    Hyper - being taken off methamazole?

Hi.. I'm new here but not to thyroid problems. I have functioning nodules.. plummer's disease and have been here a while. My current ideal dosage for the methamazole is 15 mg/day.. split dosage 10 am and 5 pm.

My current endo has said in the past that he thinks my thyroid should have come out years ago, when the medication has been doing it's job properly, and I think he might be prepping me for a procedure without asking me.

I do not understand why, if science can using a laser can hit a fly on the back of a cow, from space, and lasers are used for eye surgery all the time, why, nodules are not being zapped leaving thyroid tissue in tact.. but I digress.

Unless I cannot swallow due to nodule growth, or my liver becomes compromised due to the meds.. I would rather keep my thyroid.

I just got a call from the "helper" at his office telling me to stop taking the meds until my appointment on the 19th. She did not have an answer to *why?*

My labs have gotten to his office but are not visible on line to me yet. I get them drawn at a place that will post via secure portal my results, but it takes a few days.

I have a terrible feeling that my symptoms are going to come back (night sweats, palpitations etc) over the weekend when he's unreachable if I stop today. I am waiting for a return call to find out how much grief he's going to give me if I wait until Monday to stop the meds.

I told him about a clinical trial from a year or two ago that was testing both saline and alcohol ablation for nodules (I did not qualify as a patient due to the medication) and he was unimpressed... so I'm fairly sure he's not about to participate from 2k miles away now.

Might anyone have insight into why an endo would instruct someone to stop the methamazole abruptly, instead of tapering down, without explaination?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
    carmella6411
    (female)

carmella6411 HB User
    Re: Hyper - being taken off methamazole?

Hi, I am hyper too and have been taking 10 mg methamazole for about 6 months. Thyroid is tricky but if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor can you go to another one? If you can you should. I don't think you should stop your meds unless you are given a reason. If I were you I'd stay on my meds, talk to the dr and find out why he gave you that advice and get a second opinion as well. You're on a low dose so there is no harm in continuing to take it. Your dr sounds suspicious...

Old 02-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
    (female)

12371121 HB User

I wish there was another option.. not many endo's in my neck of the woods, and the others don't play with my insurance company
    Even this one is an hour away.

The nurse finally called back and said my TSH is now at 5.4 (the only number she gave me.. and they usually won't tell me any numbers) that is very different from previous results .. the last one was .08 so.. yeah.. very different. I'm still going to wait until Sunday or Monday to stop so if there are horrible symptoms - at least the office will be open.

I'm hoping whomever inputs results to my lab portal gets on the stick soon.. I want/need to see the rest of my lab results.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your TSH is at a hypo level now, and shows that you probably won't suffer any ill effects from quitting the methimazole. However, I don't have the knowledge about hyperT to say whether the dose you're taking can be stopped without a taper... My guess is it's possible.

It's just my lay opinion - but in this case, I'd probably do what the doctor is asking.

Edit to add: If you believe your endo is the kind who would be sneaky enough to do a procedure without your permission, you either need to find another one or else educate yourself as much as possible to know when you're getting a snow job. Start with the book Thyroid for Dummies and work your way up from there. Self-education is the best way for most hypothyroid folks like me to know whether we're being treated as well as we can be, and I'm sure it works the same for hyperthyroid ones.
    Best of luck.

Last edited by midwest1; 02-12-2016 at 08:59 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    12371121 (02-12-2016)
    Reply Reply