It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Hypothyroid without symptoms

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
vegbiker
(female)

vegbiker HB User
Question Hypothyroid without symptoms

Hi all,
I had some regular bloodwork done recently and it came back with what is apparently a VERY high TSH lever of 70.2. They redid the test two weeks later and it now came back with TSH of 95.57, T4 total of 2.8, T3 uptake of 26%, and a T4, free, calculated, of .7. Thing is, I feel totally fine. I'm someone known to be always healthy - immune system of steel type of thing - when my co-workers all drop of whatever flu or stomach bug the kids are passing around I don't get sick. I have no symptoms, unless you count one watery eye which is what brought me to the doc in the first place, and she declared to be allergies (and put me on eyedrops that haven't helped). Any suggestions? I feel ridiculous going on a hormone that I'm supposed to be on for the rest of my life when I feel just fine. Anyone with experience with this? I'm seeing an endochronologist later in the week, and a naturopath next week. I simply don't take meds. And I'm vegan, so the natural thyroid meds aren't an option for me. I'm really frustrated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
Re: Hypothyroid without symptoms

Well, first off, hypothyroidism is not a contagious disease so I'm not sure why you're comparing it to resisting colds and flu. That said, what I'd suggest is having free T4 and free T3 levels checked. Free, not total. Free T's are direct measurements of the metabolically active thyroid hormones. These are better indicators of thyroid function than the ones you had done. I would also ask to have your cholesterol checked. Hypothyroidism and high cholesterol often go hand in hand.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
luca689
Senior Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

I had a similar situation and felt fine as well. Turned out what I thought was fine was much improved by taking my generic synthroid. It's really not a big deal and I didn't know how much better I Could be.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca689 For This Useful Post:
vegbiker (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #4
vegbiker
(female)

vegbiker HB User

I only meant that I have a strong immune system, when lots of things I've read indicate that one symptom of hypothyroidism is being prone to infection and illness. My cholesterol is on the low end of normal, and my HDL cholesterol is low. (Total cholesterol - 156, HDL - 41, cholesterol/HDL ratio - 3.8, LDL, calculated - 102, non HDL - 115.)

Old 03-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #5
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

I've never heard of the connection between hypothyroidism and increased infection. I certainly have never had that problem as I usually go a year or two between colds even before I was dx'ed hypo. A quick search did not turn up any convincing evidence that there's a link. If you know of a study I'd be interested in reading it, but not even a search of the AACE or ATA websites mentions this. There IS a link between having one autoimmune disease and developing another but that's different than being more susceptible to pathogens.

That said, ask that your free T's be tested. If they look reasonable (eg. mid range or above) then you may not benefit from treatment. I would still want to keep an eye on your thyroid levels at least once or twice a year. TSH levels that high could certainly signal future problems. Treating it is really no big deal as luca mentioned. Synthroid is a synthetic drug so shouldn't interfere with your vegan diet.

Reply Reply