It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH level at 6,3 and my doctor won't treat, help!!!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
    EvalinaFrancisc
    (female)

EvalinaFrancisc HB User
    Angry TSH level at 6,3 and my doctor won't treat, help!!!

All my life I've been struggling with what I'm sure now is hypothyroidism. I've always had trouble losing weight, I have exercise intolerance, my hands and feet are always very cold, I feel tired ALL the time, I can't focus, etc. I am somebody with a lot of different interests in life, but my lack of energy has always prevented me from doing all the things I'd love to do. First, even if I sleep 10 hours at night, I still feel exhausted in the morning, I have to nap for at least an hour during the day. I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and dysthymia, for which I was prescribed medicine 15 years ago. I'm doing a master's degree and even though I have grades are always very good, I have to struggle to keep up with the required pace because of lack of energy and focus. Last year, a psychologist at my university diagnosed me with ADD, without even asking if I had a thyroid problem, which is essential, since both have somewhat similar symptoms. I went through the whole range of add medication, and nothing seems to work. I remembered that I've always been considered having borderline hypothyroid. I get bloodwork done, it's high. My doctor says "ah, maybe it was just that day" and says to have it done in a month. Now, a month later, still high (6,3). What does she say? That it's normal and that I don't need treatment... I am so confused. Has something like this ever happened to anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
    KB1986
    (female)

KB1986 HB User
    Re: TSH level at 6,3 and my doctor won't treat, help!!!

Get a second opinion. 6.3 on tsh is high. You should also have your free t3 and free t4 checked and your hashimotos antibodies.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, it happens to many people, sad to say.

Thyroid-healthy people have been found to have average TSH of 1 - 1.5.
    Yours is absolutely not "normal". Please find a more cooperative doctor.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
    EvalinaFrancisc
    (female)

EvalinaFrancisc HB User

Yes, that what I thought. I simply can't understand how, as a doctor, you can act like that and still be able to look at yourself in the mirror.
    I'll keep on looking for a real professional!

Old 03-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
    EvalinaFrancisc
    (female)

EvalinaFrancisc HB User

Oh, also my level is actually 6,9 and not 6,3... so it's even worse!!!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #6
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Can you get in to see a endocrinologist?

Cathy

Old 04-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
    Pkrfan53
    (female)

Pkrfan53 HB User

I can totally relate. For the last 2 years my weight spiked, gaining 20 lbs in 18 months while on an 800 calorie per day diet. My doctor refused to run a TSH test and tried to blame the weight gain on my age (I was 59 when all this started). It was only when I went to a nutritionist and they ran a series of tests, INCLUDING a thorough thyroid panel that they discovered my TSH was 5.95. I took the labs to my doctor and she finally agreed to put me on Levothyroxine .05. I am beyond frustrated with the medical community for ignoring this, but I'm sure many others have gone through the same thing. I have been on the medication for two months and still trying to adjust but so happy the issue has finally been addressed!

Old 04-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
    Krissy
    (female)

Krissy HB User
    Angry Re: TSH level at 6,3 and my doctor won't treat, help!!!

I'm on the same boat! my TSH is a 6.210 and my primary wouldn't treat.Had t3 & t4 labs,all normal,had antibodies run,all normal.Finally get in to a endo,and she tells me my thyroid & neck are somewhat swollen,go for a ultrasound.I am totally confused why only the TSH is at the high end.
    She also told me no more steroids for my sinuses they do have effects on tsh levels.Though i only take them when needed for wicked sinus pressure,maybe twice a month for 2 or 3 days.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krissy View Post
    Had t3 & t4 labs,all normal,had antibodies run,all normal.
    "Normal" means very little when it comes to thyroid results. Almost everyone who gets a hypothyroidism diagnosis has T4/3 still within the range parameters. That does NOT mean they're "normal", if symptoms are present. It means that the levels aren't "normal" for you. It's the same thing as needing a size 8 shoe. Even though 8 is within the standard size range, as are size 7 and size 10, you must have a size 8 shoe to be comfortable.

The majority of healthy people have T4/3 levels within the upper half (at minimum) to the upper third of the ranges. That's the way it is. Levels below lab median are too low for all but a tiny minority.

Again, I bet your T4/3 levels are very low with TSH of nearly 7. Keep looking for a smarter MD who understands this.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-01-2016 at 05:09 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Krissy (04-02-2016)
    Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
    Krissy
    (female)

Krissy HB User

I still wonder what is causing the tsh level to rise and now why the thyroid is swollen.She told me after the ultrasound result she'd decide to treat me or not,if not? i go somewhere else.

Reply Reply

Tags
    add/adhd, anxiety, depression, hypothyroid, misdiagnosis