It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Thyroid Disorders Message Board

  • I need help with my Hashimoto's

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
    feliciamarie
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Posts: 5
    feliciamarie HB User
    I need help with my Hashimoto's

    I am a 25 year old female and I was diagnosed with Hashimotos Disease probably around 2012 or so. I take 75MCG every morning and I do blood tests about once or twice a year to make sure my levels are stable. What I need help with are symptoms. My boyfriend has been very supportive, he was the reason I went to get the initial blood test because he said my symptoms reminded him of Graves Disease and it worried him. Well, I went to the doctor and got the tests done and he told me I had Hashimotos. Since then, my boyfriend has told me that he hasn't seen any improvement in my symptoms, in fact he thinks they've gotten worse. I have looked at a lot of different lists of symptoms that people with Hashimoto's Disease can experience and I experience a lot of them. I'll list the ones I experience the most and a little bit of a description to each so maybe someone can help me with what I need to do to feel better because honestly it makes me miserable.


    -Hair Loss - Every time I brush or wash my hair there is always tons of hair in the brush or tub. It's everywhere all the time, I shed like the cats.

    - Depression - I don't know if it is actually depression, but a lot of the time I feel like I'm just not good enough to be around anyone. I'll find myself crying at ridiculous moments with absolutely no reason for it. I also find myself thinking that people I know (and can acknowledge even when I'm feeling this way) love and care for me, and yet I still think they don't care about me and will abandon me at the drop of the hat, which breaks me down mentally.

    - Stress - This is probably one of my worst symptoms. I am always stressed out about something, even ridiculous things that shouldn't be stressing me out. One of the biggest things I stress about is what I mentioned with the depression. I feel like my friends and loved ones are going to abandon me at any minute, which scares me and results in me lashing out at them in ways that if I can't control it soon enough may result in them actually leaving, which terrifies me and just puts me into a never ending loop of stress and depression.

    - Anger - I can't seem to rationalize other people's behaviors. Completely normal behaviors that don't normally bother me result in me lashing out and screaming at people and saying things that I don't mean to say.

    - Memory Loss - This is a really bad symptom. I forget things very quickly. If I don't actively keep it in my mind, I won't remember it. A perfect example, when I was still in college I was walking through town with some people and when we were going back to the dorms I made a comment about a truck I saw. I used to see it all the time and hadn't seen it in a while so I made the comment. The people I was with looked at me really confused and just flatly stated "You said the exact same thing when we walked by it on the way out" and I honestly don't remember seeing it at any point that day. In fact I didn't remember seeing it for around 5 months, and yet they claimed that I made the exact same comment I just had, earlier that day. It really messes with my head when people tell me that I did or said something and I can't remember doing it to save my life.

    - Weight - Before I started taking synthroid I weighed 110 lbs, after I started taking it I gained like 30 lbs and I can't lose it. I'm stuck between 135 and 140 (I'm about 5'6" tall)

    - Headaches - I get headaches on a daily basis. Sometimes they're really bad but generally they're just a slight discomfort in my frontal lobe area.

    - Sleep - It takes me forever to fall asleep and even when I do I can't stay asleep and then I feel exhausted all day when I wake up, as if I never slept at all.

    Another thing I've noticed and that is that sometimes I feel like I can't swallow properly, I always feel like I have to yawn to get a lung full of oxygen, and my nails curl downward along the curve of the tip of my fingers on like 3/5 fingers.


    There are probably others, these are just the ones I experience most often. If you have any questions that may help figure out the best course of action, please let me know. Thanks!

    Last edited by feliciamarie; 03-16-2016 at 11:04 AM.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
    mmp463
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2016
    Location: Pace, Florida
    Posts: 10
    mmp463 HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    The thyroid has to be treated gradually for deficiency. When it was found that I was hypothyroid, I was nearly dead with all the symptoms that you have. I was put on Synthroid but it did not pull me out of all the symptoms. My body was not comverting from T4 toT3 and on down. I was so depleted. What worked for me was getting on Armour Thyroid ( has been around over a 100 years), but there is a lot of political hype from doctors who do not want to prescribe it. My insurance will not pay for it so I pay for it out of pocket. Hope I have helped you some way...

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2014
    Posts: 552
    Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    What were your last thyroid lab results (and their ranges) and when were they done?

    What med are you taking? You only gave a dose.

    Last edited by Harri3t; 03-16-2016 at 03:08 PM.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
    mmp463
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2016
    Location: Pace, Florida
    Posts: 10
    mmp463 HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    I am taking Armour Thyroid 2 gr per day. I am supposed to have labs every six months. Armour is supposed to be increased until it is optimal according to your labs. When it is optimal, you will be feeling great. I take zinc, multi vitamin/mineral, calcium, among other supplements like D3. If you doctor is not paying attention to all of the above, you will find that your thyroid is not getting all the help it needs.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #5
    feliciamarie
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Posts: 5
    feliciamarie HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harri3t View Post
    What were your last thyroid lab results (and their ranges) and when were they done?

    What med are you taking? You only gave a dose.
    I went and got a blood test right after I posted and I edited the post like 5 times to try to get everything in. Once I get the results I'll let you know. Also, I'm on Generic Synthroid.

    Last edited by feliciamarie; 03-18-2016 at 06:39 AM.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #6
    feliciamarie
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Posts: 5
    feliciamarie HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmp463 View Post
    The thyroid has to be treated gradually for deficiency. When it was found that I was hypothyroid, I was nearly dead with all the symptoms that you have. I was put on Synthroid but it did not pull me out of all the symptoms. My body was not comverting from T4 toT3 and on down. I was so depleted. What worked for me was getting on Armour Thyroid ( has been around over a 100 years), but there is a lot of political hype from doctors who do not want to prescribe it. My insurance will not pay for it so I pay for it out of pocket. Hope I have helped you some way...
    You definitely helped! The only thyroid medication I knew about was synthroid so I'll talk to my doctor when I see him next week to see if there is anything we can do. Thanks!

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
    feliciamarie
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Posts: 5
    feliciamarie HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harri3t View Post
    What were your last thyroid lab results (and their ranges) and when were they done?

    What med are you taking? You only gave a dose.

    I got my results back and my TSH levels were 0.450-4.500 (0.713) and my T4 was 0.82-1.77 (1.42). I saw my doctor yesterday (3/21/16) and he has me scheduled for an ultrasound to be done within the next month. I asked him if he thinks I should see an endocrinologist (I haven't gotten a response on that yet, the office I go to has an online program where we can send messages and see medical information online).

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Thyroid Trouble
    Posts: 358
    azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    Hi,

    From your labs, I do not see your doc tested free t3.

    Free t3 - is the "active" thyroid hormone your body can immediately use
    Free t4- is the thyroid hormone that must be converted to t3 (synthroid and generic synthroid consist only of t4.

    Some people are poor converters. No matter how much synthroid you put in if you are a poor converter - you end up decent to high free t4 numbers and bottom of range free t3.

    For me- I spent years on just synthroid and most of my symptoms remained though not as bad as before treatment. I had the symptoms you complain of. My MD internist and endo were very pleased generally with my numbers as long as my TSH didn't get too close to hyper and they did not care a whit about the bottom of the range free t3. I was always wired but tired. I felt my system was out of whack.

    I requested my MD internist to let me add in a small amount of t3 to see if we could improve my bottom of range free t3 level. I tried cytomel - a synthetic t3 preparation and couldn't tolerate it- it was like taking several cups of strongly caffeinated coffee no matter how tiny the dose I tried. So then I decided to try adding in a small amount of armour which is not synthetic and includes both t3 and t4 -- it was like a light went on in my head again.

    I now take approx. 1/2 of my med as synthroid and the other 1/2 armour. I made this transition very gradually over 2 yrs. and I am now thinking I would like to alter the balance further to more armour and less synthroid. Something about the armour add in allowed me to feel more balanced overall and my sleep is much better.

    I shared this with you to give you some hope that things can get better and also to let you know it may take time and tinkering to get it right FOR YOU. A big problem though can be docs who are inflexible and care only about the TSH and free t4 numbers and have a bias against armour. I have found you cannot convince a doc of anything and if you aren't on the same page, you likely need to find a doc who is more open.

    You can find docs that script armour by speaking to your local pharmacist. Mine was helpful though some may not be.

    Good luck- just know it can get better!

    Last edited by azure7789; 03-23-2016 at 10:23 AM.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 03-24-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
    feliciamarie
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Mar 2016
    Posts: 5
    feliciamarie HB User
    Re: I need help with my Hashimoto's

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azuree View Post
    Hi,

    From your labs, I do not see your doc tested free t3.

    Free t3 - is the "active" thyroid hormone your body can immediately use
    Free t4- is the thyroid hormone that must be converted to t3 (synthroid and generic synthroid consist only of t4.

    Some people are poor converters. No matter how much synthroid you put in if you are a poor converter - you end up decent to high free t4 numbers and bottom of range free t3.

    For me- I spent years on just synthroid and most of my symptoms remained though not as bad as before treatment. I had the symptoms you complain of. My MD internist and endo were very pleased generally with my numbers as long as my TSH didn't get too close to hyper and they did not care a whit about the bottom of the range free t3. I was always wired but tired. I felt my system was out of whack.

    I requested my MD internist to let me add in a small amount of t3 to see if we could improve my bottom of range free t3 level. I tried cytomel - a synthetic t3 preparation and couldn't tolerate it- it was like taking several cups of strongly caffeinated coffee no matter how tiny the dose I tried. So then I decided to try adding in a small amount of armour which is not synthetic and includes both t3 and t4 -- it was like a light went on in my head again.

    I now take approx. 1/2 of my med as synthroid and the other 1/2 armour. I made this transition very gradually over 2 yrs. and I am now thinking I would like to alter the balance further to more armour and less synthroid. Something about the armour add in allowed me to feel more balanced overall and my sleep is much better.

    I shared this with you to give you some hope that things can get better and also to let you know it may take time and tinkering to get it right FOR YOU. A big problem though can be docs who are inflexible and care only about the TSH and free t4 numbers and have a bias against armour. I have found you cannot convince a doc of anything and if you aren't on the same page, you likely need to find a doc who is more open.

    You can find docs that script armour by speaking to your local pharmacist. Mine was helpful though some may not be.

    Good luck- just know it can get better!
    Thank you very much for your help. I saw my doctor a few days ago and he will not prescribe Armor, but I already knew that because my mother had asked him about it years prior and he told her he didn't prescribe it. I have an ultrasound sometime within the next month so if that doesn't show anything I'll ask about a possible t3 test to see if that shows anything. Again, thank you very much.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply

    Tags
    hashimotos thyroid disease, symptoms



    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!