It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Advice?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
    Wendyloos
    (female)

Wendyloos HB User
    Red face Thyroid Advice?

I just did some annual labs and my TSH came back high which is a first for me. I guess I'm now branded as "hypothyroid". I was referred to an Endocrinologist (not impressed by her) and she said my TSH wasn't that high and suggested to start 50mg of Synthroid. I thought she'd require more labs or really "dig in" to my issues. (not so much) She only gave me this prescription and that was it. I'm 46 years old and have loved that I've never had to take a daily med. Dun dun dun...now it looks like thats going to be in the rear view mirror. I've always tried to heal myself first with natural methods and have been a vegan, yet just switched to a Whole 30 diet as it seems I need more protein and I've also added in acupuncture. (no clue if that helps) My sister has Hashimotos and my mom has thyroid issues too... I guess it's in our genes and even eating super healthy won't save me this time.

Here's my lab info;
    TSH=7.490
    Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum= 2.8
    T4, Free (Direct)= 1.12

Do you feel that such a low dose is going to make a difference? I feel like caca as of late. No energy, crazy fatigue. brittle hair/hair loss, brittle nails, mild weight gain, foggy brain, sore joints. (most of these symptoms belong to perimenopause too. so confusing!)
    My thyroid area isn't swollen and doc thought it wasn't necessary to even ultrasound it. I've been dealing with perimenopause (horrid) which has ramped up my anxiety from time to time and now this. SO not fun! I read one of the Synthroid "side effects" is hair loss for the first few months which has already been an issue.
    Bottom line, is it worth it to start Synthroid or could my higher TSH numbers go down?
    Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #2
    GShac
    (female)

GShac HB User
    Re: Thyroid Advice?

I was diagnosed hypothyroid in my 20's- I'm almost 56 now. All I can say is to be patient - it takes some time to find your appropriate dosage. My dosage fluctuated when I was pregnant, after delivery and when I was perimenopausal. But that's how hormones are Hang in there - you will feel better.

Reply Reply

Tags
    hypothroidism, synthroid