It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please help ... advice needed regarding lab results ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
    amelie82
    (female)

amelie82 HB User
    Unhappy Please help ... advice needed regarding lab results ...

Hello,

I'd really appreciate any advice that might be offered in interpreting lab results and/or suggestions re: the need for further investigation...

TSH 1.9 (0.5 - 4.0)
    FT4 13 (10 - 20)
    FT3 4.5 (3.5 - 6.0)

These results all indicate that I'm in the normal range... but things just don't feel right. I've had what seem to be both hypo and hyper symptoms, on and off, for several years. I never saw a doctor about any of this (at the time, I put it down to emotional stress and anxiety as a result of being in an abusive relationship for 3 to 4 years, followed by a divorce over a period of 5 long, painful years). During this time I also had a right hemithyroidectomy (a little over 3 years ago).

Most recently (over the last 5 to 6 months), I've noticed more and more hypo-like symptoms (hair falling out, skin changes, facial swelling mostly on the left particularly around the eye and cheek, weight gain, migraines every two weeks, feeling even more tired and sleepy than usual...) . I'm frustrated, exhausted, and utterly miserable.

I have an appointment to see a doctor next week to discuss all of this. But I'm not sure that I should even bother...? With results like these...??

I'd be most grateful for any advice or insight others here might have...

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Please help... advice needed re: lab results...

Thyroid problems really aren't 'all about the numbers' as most MDs believe.
    The fact that you've had half your gland removed is key. You might have gotten along okay without supplemental hormone for a while, but it appears you really could use some now. Your FT4 is at the lower end of its range, well below median. That's too little for almost everyone.

I would try to divert the doctor away from the lab numbers and appeal to his common sense. Your half-gland isn't keeping up anymore. It's time for at least a trial of thyroid hormone to see if it makes you feel better. If he won't agree, by all means seek help elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    amelie82 (04-16-2016)
    Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
    amelie82
    (female)

amelie82 HB User
    Re: Please help... advice needed re: lab results...

Hi midwest1,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post! Sorry if this is somewhat obvious -- but is it just the T4 thyroid hormone that I should be asking for at this stage...?

Many thanks...

Reply Reply