It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• another confused about test results person

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
    Evans3ins
    (female)

Evans3ins HB User
    another confused about test results person

After suffering for years with many of the hypothyroidism symptoms, I finally got the tests ran today. Apparently I'm normal. Tsh -2.04, t3-30 , t4-11.2, fti- 3.4. Not sure what to do from here. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
    levo
    (male)

levo HB Userlevo HB User
    Re: another confused about test results person

Did you fast and do the test in the morning as soon as possible from waking up? If you didn't, redo the TSH and add the antibody tests too. The 2 tests are TPOAb and TgAb. They're the reason for 90% of hypothyroidism cases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4171896/

Last edited by Administrator; 04-21-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User

If by FTI you mean free thyroxine index and t3 and t4 are total and not free levels then the tests ordered appear to be outdated ones. FTI is just an estimate of freeT4. There are much better tests now than those.

See if you can get a repeat TSH and free T levels (FT3 FT4) instead of the labs you had done. Free Ts are the active thyroid hormones and the ones that really determine thyroid function. Then post the results here with their ranges. Ranges are needed because they can vary by lab.

If you're hypothyroid with or without thyroid antibodies, the treatment is the same. Some doctors consider testing for them unnecessary but you can always ask. Not everyone with antibodies is hypo though they may become hypo in the future so it may be good to know. If you can get them ordered, fine. If not, I'd push for at least getting Free Ts (at least a Free T4) with a TSH. Many doctors only order a TSH and base treatment on that alone. As many thyroid sufferers will tell you, TSH alone is not a great way to screen. Free Ts help clarify things.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
    Evans3ins
    (female)

Evans3ins HB User

Thank you so much for your help. Appreciated greatly! I will be going to a different doctor and lord willing, they will know better.

Reply Reply