It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help Understanding Ultrasound Results

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
    colbyjackthecat
    (female)

colbyjackthecat HB User
    Post Help Understanding Ultrasound Results

Hi everyone, I currently don't have any serious thyroid issues. I have been seeing an endocrinologist off and on for the last 5 years (starting at age 16), a doctor suggested it as my thyroid appeared enlarged. Blood tests reveal all my thyroid levels are normal except my TSH which is usually on the low side (0.29-0.39). Recently my normal endocrinologist has quit so I am left seeing a Nurse Practitioner who I do not feel very confident in. I have severe depression and anxiety which is not being treated well with antidepressents. I have also been on BC for the last 6 years and have been very regular until the last 6 months, in which I have worse PMS symptoms and break through bleeding. Anyways what I would like is if I need to get a second opinion or push my doctor to get me a biopsy based on my ultrasound results:

"Right lobe measures 5.8 x 1.8 x 2.4 cm. Left lobe measures 6.3 x 1.4 x 2.3 cm. Isthmus
    measures 5 mm. Right lobe volume 12.8 cc. Left lobe volume 10.2 cc. Overall size of the
    gland has not changed significantly. There is normal Doppler flow to the gland.
    The upper pole of the right lobe there is a hypoechoic nodule measuring 11 x 8 x 11 mm.
    Containing low-level echoes but there appears to be some through transmission is
    consistent with complex cyst, no significant change. In the lateral mid right lobe
    there is a 7 x 4 x 6 mm cystic nodule that is not significantly changed. In the lower
    pole there is a heterogeneous slightly hypoechoic solid-appearing nodule measuring 7 x
    4 x 4 mm. A similar-appearing nodule is seen on prior study.
    In the upper pole of the left lobe there is a hypoechoic slightly hypoechoic solid
    nodule measuring 11 x 6 x 12 mm. Similar nodule seen previously. In the mid left lobe
    there is a predominantly solid nodule with small cystic components measuring 10 x 4 x 5
    mm. This is unchanged. In the lower pole there is a cyst measuring 11 x 9 x 7 mm.
    Similar lesions previously."

Please any input will help, I'm sick of doctors saying since I'm young I don't need to worry about anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
    colbyjackthecat
    (female)

colbyjackthecat HB User
    Re: Help Understanding Ultrasound Results

Also I have ultrasound notes from 2013:

"The right lobe measures 4.55 x 2.06 x 2.00 cm. Right lobe is heterogeneous in echotexture. There is a 0.58 x 0.38 cm hypoechoic solid nodule in the posterior upper-mid pole. There is a slightly heterogeneous and 0.71 x 0.63 cm solid nodule in the mid-lower pole. There is minimal vascular flow in and around nodule on color Doppler evaluation.

The left-lobe measures 4.88 x 1.82 x8-0.01 cm. Left lobe is heterogeneous. There is a well-defined 1.43 x 1.29 cm cyst in the lower pole. There is a complex solid and cystic nodule measuring 1.22 x 0.78 cm in the midpole. Increased vascular flow is seen in and around the nodule on color Doppler evaluation There is a similar-appearing complex solid and cystic 0.88 x 0.73 cm nodule in the upper pole. This also shows vascular flow in and around the nodule on color Doppler evaluation.

Thyroid isthmus measures 0.34 cm. The isthmus is minimally heterogeneous. No discrete focal solid or cystic lesions.

Impressions:
    1. Solid nodular densities in the right and left lobes as above. Etiology and significance is uncertain.
    2. Large simple cyst in the lower pole of the left lobe."

Old 05-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
    colbyjackthecat
    (female)

colbyjackthecat HB User
    Re: Help Understanding Ultrasound Results

Also results from an uptake scan taken in 2013:

"Results: Uptakes in the euthyroid range. Cool nodule left lower pole.

The thyroid gland is located within its normal anatomic location neck. The gland is overall normal in size and configuration. There is faint activity demonstrated what appears to be a pyramidal lobe. There is an area relatively diminished labeling appreciated best on the LAO projection involving the lateral aspect of the left lower pole. This appears to correspond to a palpable fullness."

Reply Reply

Tags
    biopsy, nodules, thyroid, ultrasound