HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Thyroid Disorders (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/)
-   -   Lab results ... help (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/thyroid-disorders/1021501-lab-results-help.html)

oogiemom 06-08-2016 09:51 PM

Lab results ... help

Hoping someone can help/direct me. I've been on ndt for a few years now, Naturethroid, 3 pills a day. I think I need more but my doctor disagrees. I finally got him to perform tests other then tsh and these are the results:

T4 free 0.54. Ref range 0.6-1.40
T3 free 3.20. Ref range 2.10-3.90
TPO antibody 939.00. Ref range 0-9.00
TSH 1.01. Ref range 0.44-4.21

The extremely high antibody has me worried, of course but I'm assuming it's Hashimoto's. Any advice? I've been feeling awful lately. Exhausted, can't loose weight, cold all the time, irritable, basically all known hypo symptoms. Do I ask for more Naturethroid? Add something else? I'm lost and the way I'm feeling isn't helping. Thank you

midwest1 06-09-2016 08:28 AM

Re: Lab results...help

You can forget about the antibodies. The treatment for hypothyroidism is the same no matter if it's caused by Hashimoto's or anything else.

Three "pills" doesn't mean much. What is the dose of each one?

The fact that your TSH is still well within the range while taking NDT suggests the dose is probably too low. TSH will generally be suppressed when an NDT dose is optimal.

Your free T3 is just above lab median. There's still room to safely raise it.
Your FT4 is deficient... Below lab range. It should be at least lab median like the FT3. It should definitely be raised.

You might ask for a slight dose increase to see if it raises FT4 and eliminates some symptoms. But it might be that instead of increasing the NDT, adding a small dose of synthetic T4 (like Synthroid or levothyroxine) daily to the NDT dose would be smarter. This might raise the FT4 without causing the FT3 to become excessive.

None of these suggestions matter if your MD is the kind who looks only at TSH levels during treatment. Because yours is so "normal", he might be unwilling to make changes in your meds. But don't let that stop you from asking. Good luck.

oogiemom 06-09-2016 10:14 AM

I am on 3 65 mg pills of nature throid daily. I take them sublingually at night before bed. I know I need a dosage upping but my doctor told me I'm on a boatload of thyroid medication the way it is. In March my tsh was almost 5. I feel like crap lately.

yayagirl 06-09-2016 01:34 PM

Dear oogiemom,

Nature Throid is quick acting and you are taking it when heading for bed to sleep. If I took it then I would be awake for hours, and then yes, feel awful all the next day. When you take it at night it wears off by morning. Nature Throid is not sublingual. Did your doctor or pharmacist give that instruction?

I don't call the amount you take a boatload, but definitely it should be energizing your body and brain during the day, not at night. Per my Naturopath doctor, I take my nature throid in the morning, with water and swallow it. There is no requirement or need to dissolve it under the tongue.

It would not hurt anything at all for you to take two pills of the thyroid first thing in the morning when you need that boost to be awake and have energy. And swallow it with water, 1/2 hour before eating.

Then in the afternoon no later than 2 PM, take the third pill. So that by bedtime the effects have worn off so you can rest easier.

I cannot imagine having my thyroid med activated when I need to go to sleep. That may be why you have felt so awful. And that may account for why your labs look like they do. If you took the Nature Throid in the morning before getting a blood test I think your labs would look more like you are taking enough thyroid.

oogiemom 06-09-2016 09:47 PM

I have always taken them sublingually. I really don't remember who told me to but that's how I do it. I've also taken them at night for many years. I currently work 4 pm to midnight and take them when I get home, mainly because I know my stomach is empty...I know I sublingual anyhow. I'm still half asleep when I get up and tend to forget. This way I don't. I felt great until about a month ago, until then my only complaint was being cold. I've always been cold! Work is insane and my husband ended up in the hospital with a heart attack and surgery, I'm not sure if that set this in motion or what. I'm working on meditation and trying yoga to manage stress, hoping that may help. I also ran into some health issues and my iron nosedived, so I'm working on getting that back on track.

yayagirl 06-11-2016 07:18 AM

Hi oogiemom,

I can understand that kind of work schedule throws off the whole day. That's really difficult. Stress increases the need for thyroid, for sure, and so evidently you have been under an overload of stress. I am so sorry.

However, the symptoms you have prove that you need your thyroid while you are awake. We all do. I believe the doctor is right that you are on adequate thyroid. You need to understand that thyroid is not absorbed properly in the mouth. It needs to go down into the stomach with a glass of water with it. And it needs to be taken when we wake up from sleep.

So you can keep your thyroid med and a bottle of water by your bed so you can swallow it down first thing when you awake, right? Then by the time you are ready to eat it will be sufficiently digested and working to support your body and mind during your awake hours.

How you have been taking the thyroid [I]prevents[/I] you from getting relief. If you want to get well and have relief, the thyroid hormone must be taken with water so it goes directly to the stomach, at the time you are waking up, not just before going to sleep.

You might not be able to change your work schedule, but if you want to be alert and feel better you must change the thyroid med schedule to affect your awake hours. Whoever implied that thyroid should be taken under the tongue and at night is just wrong. That you have done this for years may be why your body is so thyroid starved.

If you want to stop being thyroid starved throughout your awake hours, you need to set an alarm, put your thyroid right by your bed/clock or toothbrush, whatever helps you get into a new healthy habit.

midwest1 06-11-2016 08:45 AM

I agree.
The sublingual method is an old-fashioned one. Recent studies have proven that there is no benefit to it, because thyroid molecules can't cross the mucous membranes of the mouth and end up in the stomach anyway. To be best absorbed, they really need to pass through the stomach and get to the gut ASAP.

Homeopathic meds are usually taken sublingually, but even the homeopathic MD I used to go to said that it shouldn't be done with Armour or other NDT.

Cm034 06-11-2016 06:13 PM

Re: Lab results ... help

[QUOTE=oogiemom;5421397]Hoping someone can help/direct me. I've been on ndt for a few years now, Naturethroid, 3 pills a day. I think I need more but my doctor disagrees. I finally got him to perform tests other then tsh and these are the results:

T4 free 0.54. Ref range 0.6-1.40
T3 free 3.20. Ref range 2.10-3.90
TPO antibody 939.00. Ref range 0-9.00
TSH 1.01. Ref range 0.44-4.21

The extremely high antibody has me worried, of course but I'm assuming it's Hashimoto's. Any advice? I've been feeling awful lately. Exhausted, can't loose weight, cold all the time, irritable, basically all known hypo symptoms. Do I ask for more Naturethroid? Add something else? I'm lost and the way I'm feeling isn't helping. Thank you[/QUOTE]

Just curious as to what your TSH was before you started Naturethroid?

oogiemom 06-11-2016 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=Cm034;5421804]Just curious as to what your TSH was before you started Naturethroid?[/QUOTE]

Right before I started naturethroid, I ended up in the er with what I thought was a heart attack. That was roughly 8 years ago and I remember getting into an argument with my then doctor who accused me of not taking my 150 mcg (or whatever) of synthroid because my tsh was a 46.2 that night. I switched doctors and started on ndt not long after that.

oogiemom 06-11-2016 06:44 PM

Thanks! I will certainly try the swallow method again but I may take them before work instead of in the am. I worry because usually within 5 minutes of awakening I'm drinking coffee. I actually don't feel bad the last 2 days, even took our dog on a 4 mile hike today. This past week at work was horrid as we are short staffed so I was basically doing the work of 3 ppl...happens...what can you do. But got some good reports from hubby's cardiologist so that helped the stress level a lot.

I guess I gotta start realizing that I'm going to have good and bad days. And this is a new way of life for both of us.

Thanks!

MarianneB57 07-18-2016 12:12 PM

How long after you started on your Nature Throid did it kick in? I just switched from Synthroid to Nature Throid. I'm happy about the switch but get pretty exhausted by the end of the day. Was on Synthroid 100 and switched to NatureThroid 3 grains (198) so the dosage of T4 is 111, more than I was on before. It's only been a week and I've heard it takes about two weeks for everything to really be clicking.

midwest1 07-18-2016 02:09 PM

Marianne, did a medical doctor make the switch for you? I think you will shortly find yourself overdosed, because the T3 component in the Nature-throid is being ignored. Three grains contains 27 mcg of T3, which is the rough equivalent of 108 mcgs of T4 in addition to the 114 (not 111) mcgs of T4 in that amount. So you're now taking the equivalent of 222 mcgs of Synthroid.

It's an unwise move to increase a dose of thyroid hormone by almost 125% all at one time. If a medical professional did that, he/she should question what they know about desiccated thyroid products.