It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimotos and EBV

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
    leahawood
    (female)

leahawood HB User
    Hashimotos and EBV

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board - this is my first post! I joined to find out if anyone on here can recommend an amazing doctor in my area that can help me. I've had hashimotos for 10 years - I was diagnosed at 18 years old after I had my first (and very traumatic) birth. During that time I was under a TON of stress (obviously, I was pregnant in high school) and in an abusive relationship. I started on synthroid and was better in a few weeks - no symptoms..ever....Fast forward a few years - I ended that relationship, moved on with my life - got married to a wonderful man. We had 3 children in 5 years. I would go from nursing one to being pregnant again. We decided we were done after the 3rd one (who is now 2). When I decided to begin weaning (she was a little over a year) that is when everything shifted. It started with a a fever one night, and the next night I couldn't sleep - at all - not even for one minute. My heart was pounding, and I had terrible anxiety. I thought it was just a weird night, and went to bed early the next night. Of course, again I could not sleep! Since then I haven't slept - a few hours here and there. That was 10 months ago. I thought it was my hormones/cycle coming back. But I've had a lot of periods..and they are all normal. They come at the same time, I don't have heavy bleeding. BUT the night before it comes I'm extra anxious and usually have another night of no sleep. Anything that is stressful - I can't handle. I'm getting sick constantly with colds/viruses (which I usually never get). I have 4 daughters - I homeschool 2 of them. I need to be well!

I've been to countless doctors! My TSH is always "in range". My last test showed that my TSH was 3.5 - which is much higher then usual. I've been at the 1.6-1.8 range for 9 years - even through pregnancies! I've never had to change my dose. I finally went to a different "out of the box thinker" doctor - she took 30 vials of blood - and diagnosed me with reactivated Epstein Barr Virus. She started me on DHEA and naturethroid in addition to my tirosinit (capsule form of synthroid). I took the DHEA and it made me crazy - more anxious then usual. I just took my first dose of naturethroid and I feel SO strange! Dizzy, and just unwell.

I thought all of these symptoms were either my female hormones leveling out, then I thought it was my Hashimotos..but now I'm wondering about this EBV. Can this be causing all of my crazy symptoms? Could my thyroid just be off because of the infection?

Anyone else had this happen to them with naturethroid? Can anyone recommend a doctor they love that has helped them (I'm in the Charlotte, NC area)? Has anyone else dealt with the EBV & Hashimotos? Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
    leahawood
    (female)

leahawood HB User
    Re: Hashimotos and EBV

Lab results:

Test Low Normal High Reference Range Units
    Thyroglobulin Antibody 1.2 0.0-0.9 IU/mL
    Thyroid Peroxidase (Tpo) Ab 9 0-34 IU/mL
    Reverse T3, Serum 20.4 9.2-24.1 ng/dL
    T4,Free(Direct) 1.40 0.82-1.77 ng/dL