It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid nodules and labs

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-02-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
    bratgirl1071
    (female)

bratgirl1071 HB User
    Question thyroid nodules and labs

I need some help. My doctor thinks I am crazy because I have repeatedly told him that it feels like something is stuck in my throat. I am constantly tried to clear my throat (which is starting to get on my husband and co-workers nerves). I have had my primary doctor and my gyn doctor both say that my thyroid is enlarged just by feeling my neck. No energy to do anything but the essentials of work 4 days a week, wash dishes and do laundry. I am tired all of the time even when I get up. Toss and turn at night and have a heard time sleeping. No sexual drive. Gained 50 pounds in less than 3 years. Have issues with low blood sugar at times. Skin and hair is dry. Seems like when I wash or brush my hair there is more coming out recently. At times I feel as if food won't go down well. My body hurts all over. My labs really aren't bad. These are the only labs I can find and the most recent ones"

TSH 3rd gen 1.233 (3-31-2016)
    T3 Uptake 32 (4-25-2007)
    T4 8.40 11-20-2013)
    T4 free 0.97 (4-16-2015)

Ultrasound (6-16-2000)
    Right side 3x2 mm area of hypoechoity in upper lobe.
    Left side 4 x2 mm hypoechoity
    These may represent small cysts, however they do not meet all criteria for a simple cyst.

Ultrasound (5-27-2011)
    Right lobe measures 3.5 cm with a hypoechoic 6 mm nodule.
    Left lobe measures 3.6 cm with small hypoechoic suspected cyst.

What I causing me to have all of these problems and symptoms? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of my doctor thinking I am crazy. I called an endo and they called my primary doctor and he told them that everything was normal and that I don't need to see an endo doctor.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: thyroid nodules and labs

You haven't had the right labs to determine anything about your thyroid status. Don't trust a doctor who can't even order the right tests to tell you your thyroid is fine.

Your gland is enlarged and you have a boatload of symptoms. Something is definitely not "fine". Insist on the better set of tests ... TSH, free T4 (see below), TPO antibodies, and Tg antibodies.

The "free T4" you listed is not a "genuine" free T4 measurement, but instead a guess-timate based on a math equation of your actual free T4 level. Free T4 can be accurately and directly measured. There has been no reason since the middle of the last century that a guess would ever be as good as direct measure. Insist on the direct measurement and go from there.

If your doctor won't agree to the better tests, he needs to be kicked to the curb. He will never be your thyroid ally, because he simply doesn't know enough about it.
    If you can get him to run the right tests, and if your free T4 is below the center of its range (no matter where your TSH falls), that means you would very probably benefit from hypothyroidism treatment.

Get the tests. Post the results with their reference ranges, if you care to. We might be able to give additional advice from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    bratgirl1071 (09-02-2016)
    Old 09-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
    bratgirl1071
    (female)

bratgirl1071 HB User

Thank you so much! I am going to go to another doctor in a couple of weeks and I will definently insist on the tests that you stated. I will post them when I get them.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
    dle11
    Inactive
    (female)

dle11 HB User

Hi, I am new, but saw your post, and you have everything I had!
    I have been struggling with what I thought was Hypothyroidism for over 20 years. Although I had a good doctor here and there, most were idiots, and none ever tested for Hashimoto's disease, which is a condition that is unlike low thyroid, it is an autoimmune disease. Now, I believe after reading your symptoms that you too, have it. I also had lumps in my throat, and by accident my back and neck doctor found one on my right side when she x rayed my neck.
    It was benign, but the stupid doctor never told me after she removed it that the labs came back with "Hashimoto's disease". So, for over 4 years I have been suffering and my health has been going into the toilet because I thought my cytomel was the only treatment. I agree with the other post suggestion, get rid of your idiot doctor, and find a good one. And, forget about an endocrinologist. They are even worse. The first thing they will do is put you on Synthroid (T-4)(Levothyroxine) and most people do not get better with that. I at least had a good doctor put me on Cytomel (T-3 therapy) and I lost 20 lbs. and felt much better. But when I hit 50 and went into menopause, my health fell apart. Ulcers, arthritis, carpal tunnel, elbow and knee problems, back problems, depression, panic attacks, and the list goes on. I blame it on hormones, and removing my right thyroid lobe. I got Isabella Wentz book "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause" and have seen that ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE, FOR OVER 20 YEARS IS BECAUSE OF THIS DAMN DISEASE!!!!
    Please do yourself a favor so you don't end up like me and suffer as much as I have. GET THE BOOK, AND THEN GET A DECENT DOCTOR!
    Good luck, and if you have any questions, I will help where I can. Health is something we must take back and we need to educate ourselves.
    God Bless. Oh, and I would look for a Functional MD or a Naturopath. They will treat your whole body, and test for other problems.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-06-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
    bratgirl1071
    (female)

bratgirl1071 HB User
    Angry Re: thyroid nodules and labs

Well I ended up going to an endocrinologist who states they specialize in thyroid disorders. As soon as she walked in the room she states "I can tell you already that it is not your thyroid that is the problem." To make a long story short she basically told me most of my symptoms are from depression and the clearing or my throat is due to my esophagus and that I need to have a scope done to see what is wrong. I told her that I see a gastro doctor and have a scope every year (which I just done in Jan) due to barretts esophagus by my entrance to my stomach. States acid reflux is the only thing wrong with my throat. Felt my throat and said that she didn't even feel anything and that it even felt like my thyroid was small. She finally agreed to do blood work and another ultrasound since I haven't had one in 5 years. So I go to the lab and they done a TSH and stated that is all she ordered. I called and questioned it and she told me that the TSH is the most important and she doesn't ever test anything else unless it is high. UGH I was so upset and furious that I cried all of the way home. I am going to go ahead with the ultrasound this coming Monday just for my records. But not sure what to do about all the other issues. I don't feel it is "all in my head" which is basically what she told me.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
    bratgirl1071
    (female)

bratgirl1071 HB User

Oh by the way, my TSH was only 1.44 this time and that she doesn't do any treatment until it is over 4.0

Reply Reply