It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• relation between hypothyroidism, depression, adrenal fatigue?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
    lesliecrujiente
    (female)

lesliecrujiente HB User
    Unhappy relation between hypothyroidism, depression, adrenal fatigue?

Hi, I am typically a very social, very active, very innately motivated person. I have hypothyroidism which has given me some sluggish symptoms in the past, but I take thyroid armour and levothyroxine (started one month ago) to deal with these symptoms. The drugs have helped my symptoms for the last four years, however my thyroid blood work almost always comes back low. I also have food allergies to eggs and dairy that have developed in the last two years.

In July (2016), I started feeling very tired and with very little energy/motivation to do anything. It has steadily worsened since July. I was/still am drinking massive quantities of coffee to get through the day. For a few months, I was sleeping 16 hours a day, and now I have insomnia. What is happening to me? I look terrible. The circles under my eyes are extreme and my skin looks gray, even green sort of. My hair breaks extremely easily and does not grow. I haven't had a period in a year. I am 23 years old.

I don't find joy in things that I usually love, I have trouble motivating myself to complete tasks, and I don't like being around people or going out as much as I did before... I am avoiding social situations. All of these seemed like signs of depression to me. So I saw a doctor who prescribed me 10mg Paxil. I started that four days ago, and I know I have to be patient with these meds to see any kind of results for the depression.

But now, after researching adrenal fatigue and seeing that it sometimes comes with hypothyroidism more easily, etc., I wonder if I even have depression? Or is it just a symptom of the AF? I want to start taking some adrenal support supplements (I just bought Gaia). Is this supplement okay to take with Paxil? It has some mood boosting herbs and I want to give both options a shot, but need feedback. I have talked to my doctor and she is more of a pill pusher than a talker, I'm unhappy to say

Has anyone had a similar to experience to this? Particularly anyone who has hypothyroidism? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
    Sadtosay
    Veteran
    (female)

Sadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB UserSadtosay HB User
    Re: relation between hypothyroidism, depression, adrenal fatigue?

You are describing the symptoms of adrenal fatigue, all right; I've had them (I am slowly improving) and many sufferers of thyroid disease also have adrenal issues, especially if their disease has gone untreated for years.

If your doctor is unfamiliar with the herbs and tonics used in adrenal fatigue, you may to see a naturopath. It might be a good idea to have a 24-hour saliva test, or even a 24-hour urine test to see where your levels are at.

For what it's worth, my licensed ND sees no issues with that combination. Bear in mind that if your adrenals do improve, and your sleep returns, you may find you need less Paxil as time progresses - which would be a good thing.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #3
    claired3
    (female)

claired3 HB User
    Re: relation between hypothyroidism, depression, adrenal fatigue?

You have diagnosed Hypothyroidism and I think you must know about your problems. I will explain you about hypothyroidism.
    When your treatment is not enough you may have symptoms will be persist example
    Depression
    Impaired memory
    Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
    Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
    Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods
    Thinning hair
    Excessive amounts of the hormone( thyroxzin) can cause side effects, such as:
    Increased appetite
    Insomnia
    Heart palpitations
    Shakiness
    So better to investigate your current FT4, FT3 and TSH level to confirm that you are taking enough treatment.
    The other thing is you may have depression because you were very active person when you get some symptoms you will be depressed more and more to end worse like this.
    You may have some infection in sub clinical state like Urinary tract infection and Gut infection which can cause your symptoms even your thyroxin may be adequate.So check it by doing investigations by medical doctor.
    Try to take healthy diet to maintain your health because you may be anemic ( Blood Hb ) level may be low if you don't eat properly.
    Whatever the problem you have never mind you go to psychiatrist to get his openiun if necessary get anti depression till your problems settle.

Last edited by claired3; 10-28-2016 at 06:19 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    adrenal fatigue, depression, fatigue, hypothyroidism, insomnia