It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• How do you lose weight with a hypothyroid

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
    shumilalila
    (female)

shumilalila HB User
    How do you lose weight with a hypothyroid

Hi I was wondering if anyone has successful stories when it comes to weightloss when being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

My TSH was 4.46 and my doctor put me on 25 mcg of levothyroxine. What were your levels along with the associated dosage of medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: How do you lose weight with a hypothyroid

You lose weight the same way anyone else would by increasing activity and watching calories. LevoT is not a weight loss drug though you may find losing weight easier.

You can't base thyroid replacement dose on TSH. Everyone is different and their treatment can vary widely. Dose is based on response measured by TSH and sometimes Free Thyroid hormone (FT4 FT3) levels. It generally takes 6- 8 weeks for a dose to find it's level. You are on what might be considered a starter dose. I'd expect your doctor has ordered some followup lab work somewhere within that interval and that your dose will be adjusted based on those results. It can take many months of small increases to find the dose to fit your needs.

It sounds like you've found a doctor that may be more thyroid savvy than most as many doctors are reluctant to treat TSH less than 5 even with symptoms. Best of luck to you

Old 11-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hi there,

I am on 75mcg of Thyroxine and to be honest, I do everything right - even tried the shakes programs and things like that. Exercise 5 days a week, at least 15,000 steps a day, count calories and the whole shebang and unfortunately it has taken me over a year to lose just under 6kg!

I am currently waiting on other tests that could be contributing to my weight being this way, but either way I have been diagnosed hypo for quite some years now and have found weight loss extremely difficult.

Remember that we're all different though

Best of luck!
    Kirsty

Old 11-18-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
    Lyn Lee
    (female)

Lyn Lee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shumilalila View Post
    Hi I was wondering if anyone has successful stories when it comes to weightloss when being diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

My TSH was 4.46 and my doctor put me on 25 mcg of levothyroxine. What were your levels along with the associated dosage of medication?

Hi I am 100mg Euthyrox and lost 14kg in 4 months this is scary cos I cant stop losing weight.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
    Play_Hard
    (female)

Play_Hard HB User

Your TSH is close to my unmediated level (mine was 3.9). I'm on 75 mcg of Synthroid (levothyroxine) and my TSH is like 1.2 ish now. I never really had a weight issue, but did lose a little bit after I went gluten-free and vegan 3 years ago. I was about 130-135 pounds (lingering baby weight) prior to my diet change and I'm about 120 pounds now (I'm 5'7"). When I talked to my endo about my diet and how much better I feel, he told me that it's good for you to avoid gluten if you have thyroid issues.

Honestly, I think it's the gluten that kept my extra baby weight on after having my kids. I had gone vegan in 1999 and was vegetarian prior to that (since 1990), I didn't really notice a weight reduction going from vegetarian to vegan. Anyway, you might want to try giving up gluten. I know it sounds faddish, but I lost that baby weight fast (my son was 8 months) when I gave up gluten! I actually didn't give up gluten or go vegan to lose weight, it was for digestive issues. A side effect is that I lost weight pretty fast and found out that one tiny piece of gluten food makes me sick for about 2-3 days!

Good luck!

Last edited by Play_Hard; 12-01-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
    hypothyroid, hypothyroidism, weight gain, weight loss