It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid nodule too small to biopsy?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
    girflush
    (male)

girflush HB User
    thyroid nodule too small to biopsy?

Alright so a couple months ago an ultrasound found that I had a fluid filled nodule just to the outside of my right thryoid lobe. I was hoping to get it biopsied and went in to see a surgeon yesterday but he said that it was too small currently to biopsy.

The dimensions of the nodule are 0.6cm X 0.36cm X 0.38cm. Which is smaller than a marble, but larger than a bb. In fact I used a ruler and drew a little cube out on paper of those dimensions and it looked like I could probably fit at least 3 bb's in such a space.

Seems to me like surely a needle, even a larger gauge needle, let alone a smaller gauge, would have no trouble penetrating such a space and extracting out some cells. But apparently not according to the doctor I saw yesterday. I'm kind of thinking of looking for a second opinion from another surgeon, but then again they might just say the same thing.

Any thoughts, experiences, or stories? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: thyroid nodule too small to biopsy?

One centimeter is the benchmark. I've never heard of anyone having anything smaller biopsied.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    girflush (11-27-2016)
    Old 11-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
    girflush
    (male)

girflush HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    One centimeter is the benchmark. I've never heard of anyone having anything smaller biopsied.
    Alright thanks for the reply and that tidbit of info. If that's the case, then it sounds like I could probably go to 10 different surgeons and they would all just probably say the same. I wonder what prevents the biopsy though because surely it's no issue to get a needle into something about the size of a pea. I mean technology exists to get little micro needles into single cells.. So it must be something else. Kinda dissapointing as I'd like to catch anything as early as possible but I'll just monitor it with an ultrasound every six months or so if that's all I can do.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
    rabbitaddict
    (female)

rabbitaddict HB User

Yes 1 cm is the smallest they will test. I was told anything smaller then that they wouldn't be able to get enough speciment to test accurately. They usually try to get 5 samples for testing.

Reply Reply