It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

19 years old and TSH level of 6.15?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
waud12
(female)

waud12 HB User
19 years old and TSH level of 6.15?

Hello everyone.
I recently went to the doctor because I thought I was suffering from depression. I was tired all the time, unmotivated, apathetic, and was having sleep problems. I had also gained a significant amount of weight for my stature; I'm around 5'4 and have gone from 112 lbs to 135 lbs in a span of about a year and a half, even though my eating habits are generally the same as they always have been. I assumed that it was just my metabolism slowing down at a normal rate combined with unhealthy college food. My doctor prescribed sertraline aka Zoloft, but also did some blood work. They called me with the results the other day and found that my TSH level was 6.150 and was higher than what is considered normal range, so I'm going back for more tests. I'm concerned because I'm only 19 years old and have been very healthy my entire life, but now there is the possibility of hypothyroidism. At the same time I've read things online suggesting that only a level of 15 and up would actually cause weight gain. What do you guys think? Is my thyroid out of whack?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: 19 years old and TSH level of 6.15?

Up to 25% of people who take anti-depressants gain weight, so I am far more likely to blame the Zoloft. Yes, your TSH is high and needs to be addressed.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
des900
(male)

des900 HB User

Its common for hypothyroid people to misdiagnose hypothyroidism for long before getting treatment. Anyway what you can do now is do these blood tests to rule out all common fatigue and low metabolism symptoms.

To rule out anemia (common reason for fatigue). For feeling well Hemoglobin, RBC count should stay in mid range in reference range.

CBC
Serum Ferritin

Vitamin D, B12 deficiency

25-hydoxy vitamin D
Serum Vitamin B12

Thyroid related

TSH
Free T4
Free T3
Anti-TPO Ab (to find if its Hashimoto thyroiditis).

Out of these the most important one is 25-hydoxy vitamin D which is commonly seen in hypothyroid people.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
waud12
(female)

waud12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato13 View Post
Up to 25% of people who take anti-depressants gain weight, so I am far more likely to blame the Zoloft. Yes, your TSH is high and needs to be addressed.
Sorry I should have clarified-- I just started zoloft, I wasn't on any new medication when I gained the weight.

The Following User Says Thank You to waud12 For This Useful Post:
sweetpotato13 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
waud12
(female)

waud12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by des900 View Post
Its common for hypothyroid people to misdiagnose hypothyroidism for long before getting treatment. Anyway what you can do now is do these blood tests to rule out all common fatigue and low metabolism symptoms.

To rule out anemia (common reason for fatigue). For feeling well Hemoglobin, RBC count should stay in mid range in reference range.

CBC
Serum Ferritin

Vitamin D, B12 deficiency

25-hydoxy vitamin D
Serum Vitamin B12

Thyroid related

TSH
Free T4
Free T3
Anti-TPO Ab (to find if its Hashimoto thyroiditis).

Out of these the most important one is 25-hydoxy vitamin D which is commonly seen in hypothyroid people.
They did test for anemia too when they did the initial blood work and confirmed I'm not anemic, but I'll need to look into these other possibilities as well. Thank you!

Old 01-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
des900
(male)

des900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waud12 View Post
They did test for anemia too when they did the initial blood work and confirmed I'm not anemic, but I'll need to look into these other possibilities as well. Thank you!
Please quote the actual values along with reference range. The value should come in optimal range to feel best. For example 25-hydroxy vitamin D the normal value is from 30 to 100 but optimal range is 50 to 80. A person having a value of 31 and a value of 70 is still considered normal by doctors but not true. Same with RBC count and hemoglobin. A value of 14.5 or above needed for males and for woman above 12.5. Doctors consider one anemic only if value go less than 8. So get the actual value without hearing their opinion. Also doing a serum ferritin will make sure you have adequate iron in your body.

Last edited by des900; 01-26-2017 at 11:37 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyroidism, thyroid, tsh