It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• 2 Large Thyroid Nodules. Very Scared

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
    Gorrillasnot
    (male)

Gorrillasnot HB User
    2 Large Thyroid Nodules. Very Scared

Hello everyone.

Just a little about me. I am a 44yo male that's had a life long issue with anxiety/panic attacks. So much so that I am on social security disability partially because of it. Things to do with health, especially, really freak me out.

A couple of years ago I had back surgery for a herniated disc. Then about 8 months or so ago I started getting pain in the right side of my neck. The doc prescribed physical therapy thinking it was disc related. After a couple of sessions the therapist recommenced I stop PT because it was painful when they would give me a neck massage especially in the front right part of my neck and he also said he could feel my pulse way more easily on that side compared to the left which didn't seem right to him.

I went back and told all this to my family doctor and he gave me an exam and felt my neck and said he couldn't feel anything wrong. He basically sent me home thinking it was muscle strain with possible mild arthritis in the neck.

The pain seemed to get better for a while, but then started to come back over the past couple of months.
    This pas week I had a doctor visit for a regular checkup and mentioned to him that I was still having neck pain.
    He ordered a CT scan which came back as enlarged thyroid.
    He then ordered a ultrasound and it showed I had 2 solid nodules on my thyroid.

I don't know the full dimensions, but they said the nodule on the left is 4cm and the one on the right is 3cm.
    They said the next step is fine needle biopsy.

The second I heard biopsy I was scarred stiff.

I went straight to google looking stuff up and got more confused and even more frightened.
    I've read that being a male makes the likelihood of cancer higher, the size of the nodule being solid and over 2cm increases the risk even further.

My symptoms: pain in the right side of neck, pain in my right side near lower rib, irritability, cant take cold weather, shortness of breath like my stomach is really full and I feel tried a lot.

I don't have trouble swallowing, I'm not hoarse, and don't have a cough or or anything.

Another thing that worries me is I had high calcium in blood tests for the past couple years Levels in the 10.2-10.5 range. Had my parathyroid checked and came back normal.

All this adds up to the fear that I might have thyroid cancer that has spread to the lymph nodes, lungs, and bones especially since I've had problems with the elevated calcium.

I know I should try to stop worrying until I get the results from the biopsy, but I cant help it.. I am worried sick.

Does it sound like my nodules are more likely to be cancer?

thanks all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: 2 Large Thyroid Nodules. Very Scared

Try not to get ahead of yourself. Very large nodules, especially 4cm, may simply be a goiter, an enlarged thyroid from hashimotos or thyroid disease...not cancer.....take it one step at a time....If it were cancer, which is doubtful, it doesn't spread quickly, it is usually easily treatable, and often curable.....the internet will frighten you, because everything leads to cancer, so you will go to the doctor. Get a good ENT surgeon, with a lot of thyroid experience to help guide you through this....

Old 02-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
    Gorrillasnot
    (male)

Gorrillasnot HB User

Thanks Reece. Your reply has made me feel a little less nervous.
    You are right about the internet. Most things medically I have looked up in the past will have cancer as a possibility and I have that anxiety mind set that always makes me think the worse.

My biopsy is scheduled for the 27th. This seems like forever..ugh!

thanks

Old 02-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
    Gorrillasnot
    (male)

Gorrillasnot HB User

I had an appointment today with my family doctor to renew my anxiety med prescription and asked him about my ultrasound and blood tests.
    I asked him how concerned I should be over my nodules and the risk of cancer and he said he wasn't that familiar with thyroid cancer and couldn't really say.
    He then told me my thyroid blood work TSH? I think its called was normal and then read something off the computer saying 90-95% of thyroid nodules are benign.
    He then gave me a copy of my ultrasound report and sent me on my way.

The reports says Right Lobe: Right thyroid parenchyma is slightly heterogeneous. Dominant solid nodule is seen in the central aspect of the right lobe measuring 3.0 x 2.0 x 2.0 centimeters. Right lobe measures 5.6cm length x 2.2cm AP x 2.4cm transverse.

Left Lobe: Left thyroid parenchyma is slightly heterogeneous. Dominant solid nodule is seen in the central aspect of the left lobe measuring 4.2 x 1.8 x 2.4 centimeters. Left lobe measures 6.3cm length x 2.2cm AP x 2.9cm transverse.

Isthmus: Normal size and echotexture. 2.3mm thickness.

Conclusion: There are dominant solid nodules involving each lobe of the thyroid. Presence of neoplasm is not excluded. FNA biopsy is advised.

I started researching on the internet again which I know is a big no no for someone like me with high anxiety, but was just hoping to find something encouraging, but instead what I read just seems to be less likely to be benign and more likely to be one of the more aggressive kinds of thyroid cancer.

For instance I read that if you have a nodule and your TSH levels are normal there is a higher chance of malignancy.
    I also read that if the nodule size is 2cm or above that the chance of cancer is somewhere around 17% but doesn't go much above that on larger nodules.
    But the increase in size of nodule increases the chance of Medullary thyroid cancer. One characteristics of a Medullary nodule is tenderness to touch, which mine is very tender.
    Plus I have had a past history of borderline to slightly high blood calcium levels and some bouts with diarrhea.
    All this has got me thinking I most likely have Medullary thyroid cancer which doesnt have as good a survival rate.

I don't see why my doctor wouldn't have ordered blood work to test my Calcitonin levels.

UHG! I am so worried...I cant sleep more then a couple hours a night..I am so worried that if I somehow miraculously dont have cancer then the anxiety will likely kill me first

Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
    Gorrillasnot
    (male)

Gorrillasnot HB User

I finally got the results back from my FNA biopsy. Non malignant nodular goiter. thank god!
    My ent said no surgery right now he would ultrasound again in 6 months.
    I kind of wish they would just take it out now, but the ent said the risk/reward right now wasn't worth it.

I still feel tired and generally crappy but am so thankful that it wasn't cancer.

thanks

Reply Reply