It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can someone skinny be hypo?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
    unwell

unwell HB User
    Post Can someone skinny be hypo?

Hi, I have been associating hypo with being overweight and assumed that being skinny myself means that I couldn't be hypo.
    My TSH - the only test I had done - is normal (2.4) and the doc says there's nothing wrong with my thyroid and that I'm just stressed.
    I have various symptoms, including some that aren't mentioned anywhere in relation to stress.
    I sort of convinced myself that I was hyper, but I have a mixed bag of symptoms that relate to both sides of thyroid problems.
    I have never been overweight and certain aspects of my demeanor suggest more of a hyper person (I walk and move quickly) but I am also very leathargic, I just can't be bothered to do anything.
    This is by no means the extent of my symptoms, but I thought this was relevant.
    So could I be hypo?

One things for sure, I'm not normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
    pdb123
    (male)

pdb123 HB User
    Cool

To answer your question, you can definitely be hypo and be skinny. I know - because I am. I've been thin my whole life, and I've probably had more symptoms of hyper than I have had of hypo. So when my doctor first told me that my TSH was abnormal, I was pretty sure he was going to tell me that I was hyper. But it turns out I was actually hypo (TSH 14.5). I think I inherited this from my mom - she's hypo and also fairly thin.

Old 11-22-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
    unwell

unwell HB User
    Well thats the proof I needed. My mother actually has the same TSH as me but she is overweight. I suspected she might be hypo so I got her to have the test.
    As we both have normal TSH levels it makes me wonder if this is something other than a thyroid problem.

Old 11-22-2002, 04:46 PM   #4
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    I am skinny or more accurately at a healthy/slim weight and always have been. For further confirmation, my TSH was 2.6 when I was diagnosed as hypo, which is not a big difference from what your TSH was.

TSH is not always an accurate indicator of hypo, hyper or normal by itself. Having Free T3 and Free T4 tests as a minimum in addition to the TSH test will give a better picture of your overall thyroid situation that will a TSH test alone.

TSH is NOT made by the thyroid gland, and is an indirect measure of what your body THINKS it needs. Imbalances in other areas or even being hypo for a long time can cause your tsh to drop as your body adjusts to what it thinks is a normal level of thyroid horomes in some cases.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 11-23-2002, 04:51 AM   #5
    unwell

unwell HB User
    That would make sense as I've felt awful for years.

Thanks.

Sometimes I wonder how so many doctors can have it so wrong.

Closed Thread