It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• High Free t4 on levothyroxine

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
    kaamos
    (male)

kaamos HB User
    High Free t4 on levothyroxine

Hi everyone:

I`m 37 years old male, now I`m on levothyroxine 50mcg, all days except weekends since nearly two months for fisrt time( TSH waving between 4.5 and 6 nearly seven during last seven years), at beginning with levo, TSH was on 4.2 and free t4 in the middle range but i`ve been full of hypo symptoms, On six weeks test remarkable results were:

Free T4 1.86 ng/dl 0.93-1.7

TSH 3.5 uui/ml 0.27-4.2

Doc didn`t ordered me Free t3(yet), i`ve had good and bad days since that began with levo, first three weeks were amazing tons of energy, at some point in the fourth i became to a zombie state, emaciated, not week, but tired and sleepy, i`ve been haggard all the time, my boss asked me 'are you fine?', i`ve felt some relif from some symptoms(better sleep, skin now looks more hydrated), but the zombie state bothers me so much. Do you think that i`m overmedicated? Should i cut my dose to half or wait until next appointment on march 29?a third day without levo?
    No palpitations or insomnia, that read are more common symptoms when overmedicated with levo. I dont know what to do, all this is new for me, i just wanna stay good again

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #2
    Soonermully
    (female)

Soonermully HB User
    Re: High Free t4 on levothyroxine

You need to ask for T3 your T4 looks optimal but it's the T3 your body needs. Going through same thing for a year . I'm still not there. Started tirosint 137mcg 3 days ago. My T3 2.3 T4 1.4
    With all hypo symtoms. I get dyspnea and shortness of breath when it wears off. RT3 too to see if your pooling it.
    I was on Levo for 25 years 150-175mcg. I had a Hashi flare up I call it went Hyper a year ago and hypo since.
    I fired my doc of 25 years . He let me go hypo for two months and bottomed out my T3 and T4 and my TSH was 100 . He wouldn't draw any of my T3 T4 reverse or even my antibodies knowing I've had Hashimoto's for 25 years. He almost killed me. I now see a nurse practitioner who used to work in endocrinology and that's all she does is thyroid and diabetes and she is awesome and when I walked in there she drew everything that needs to drawn. My antibodies were 500 and she checks my adrenal gland's frequently every six weeks . Have you had your ferritin your B12 vit D. Selenium checked? You need all those to help your thyroid. You need to ask for to be done if not I would start looking for someone who is willing to treat you for your symptoms and to draw everything that needs to be drawn.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
    martyn413
    (male)

martyn413 HB User

Hi there,

Quick question for you: when you had your blood taken for the test, how long before did you take your medication?

Thanks,
    Martyn

Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
    Soonermully
    (female)

Soonermully HB User

I have always taken it bc she wants to know how it's doing with meds to come down if too much T4 or titration to get t3 up. This is the first time in 25 years I haven't been able to tolerate the meds without PVCs and tachycardia which can be normal with hypo so we're titrating very slow and that's why we tried tirosint, only been on for 4days because it has no fillers and I seem to do better on that then generic . If you draw lab in the morning it'll pick up three or four hours so if you want to wait I have a lab drawn in the afternoon or wait take it right after they draw your lab if you're curious

Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
    kaamos
    (male)

kaamos HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by martyn413 View Post
    Hi there,

Quick question for you: when you had your blood taken for the test, how long before did you take your medication?

Thanks,
    Martyn
    24 Hours before

Old 04-15-2017, 05:52 AM   #6
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

You could ask to have your FT4 measured by dialysis - it could be that you have an unusual amount of thyroid binding globulin or something else affecting your regular FT4 result which would make your FT4 appear higher than it actually is.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 04-15-2017 at 10:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to FinnMaid For This Useful Post:
    kaamos (04-15-2017)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    free t4, hypothryoidism, levothyroxine