It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Do I have hypothyroidism ... help!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
kimmyb82
(female)

kimmyb82 HB User
Do I have hypothyroidism ... help!

I would really appreciate any help and advice!

For over 2 years now I have been having they symptoms of hypothyroidism that have increasingly becoming worse ... loss of periods, severe fatigue, depression, weight gain that I cannot lose despite exercise and healthy eating / seriously cutting calories, puffy face, intolerance to the cold, hair loss ... the list goes on.

I have been to the doctors so many times and I am met with the usual response ... I am stressed or depressed. I went along these lines and have done everything they have suggested .. antidepressants, therapy, Cbt, healthy eating and exercise. None of which have worked. The antidepressants made me feel worse and sometimes I am so tired I can barely walk let alone exercise!

My blood test results keep coming back 'normal' ... my tsh result is low and my free t4 and t3 have been below the recommended guidelines, however recent blood tests show that my t4 has raised within the normal range but my t3 is still below.

Deep down I really feel this is related to hypothyroidism. I'm literally don't recognise myself physically or mentally anymore and I do not know what to do. I'm sick of feeling like this.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice / similar stories as to whether this could be a thyroid issue and if I should push this further with my doctors and what I should ask they should do? Or should I give up and just accept this is the way I am or that they are right?

Any advice and help would be really appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #2
Ispeakwhale2
(female)

Ispeakwhale2 HB User
Re: Do I have hypothyroidism ... help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmyb82 View Post
I would really appreciate any help and advice!

For over 2 years now I have been having they symptoms of hypothyroidism that have increasingly becoming worse ... loss of periods, severe fatigue, depression, weight gain that I cannot lose despite exercise and healthy eating / seriously cutting calories, puffy face, intolerance to the cold, hair loss ... the list goes on.

I have been to the doctors so many times and I am met with the usual response ... I am stressed or depressed. I went along these lines and have done everything they have suggested .. antidepressants, therapy, Cbt, healthy eating and exercise. None of which have worked. The antidepressants made me feel worse and sometimes I am so tired I can barely walk let alone exercise!

My blood test results keep coming back 'normal' ... my tsh result is low and my free t4 and t3 have been below the recommended guidelines, however recent blood tests show that my t4 has raised within the normal range but my t3 is still below.

Deep down I really feel this is related to hypothyroidism. I'm literally don't recognise myself physically or mentally anymore and I do not know what to do. I'm sick of feeling like this.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice / similar stories as to whether this could be a thyroid issue and if I should push this further with my doctors and what I should ask they should do? Or should I give up and just accept this is the way I am or that they are right?

Any advice and help would be really appreciated!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:14 AM   #3
Ispeakwhale2
(female)

Ispeakwhale2 HB User

Hi there. I sympathize with you. I have hypo and you sound like you have all the signs. My voice also changed and I remember my lense over my eyeballs were like coming off. I couldn't even bathe my daughter. Very freaky. Your body is actually going into a coma and no you should not stop until you are satisfied and feeling better. Dr won't help, get a new one. There are drs who specialize in hormones. Could be an adrenal thing too. You should have a full work up blood wise. Call your insurance company and talk to a
Nurse there if worse comes to worse. You need help. Make sure they check
Your female hormones too. Don't leave anything out. I got books from Amazon that helped me too. Knowledge is power. Don't let them brush you off! I hope this helps. Thinking of you from Cali! Let me know how it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ispeakwhale2 For This Useful Post:
Nha37 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
smokedgouda
(female)

smokedgouda HB User

If they haven't already, make sure they're testing for thyroid antibodies - TPO and TGAb. I struggled for a long time with a diagnosis too only to find out I had been floating under the radar for a long time with Hashimoto's and relatively normal T4 levels that would spike out from time to time but naturally never when I had blood taken.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you can, please post your latest labs with the reference ranges.
Your mention of "low" TSH with below normal FT4/3 is significant.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
kimmyb82
(female)

kimmyb82 HB User

Thank you all so much I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and I am thankful for the advice and support. Here are my test results and ranges:

My recent results:

Serum TSH level 0.98 mu/L
Range: 0.27 - 4.20mu/L

Serum free T4 level. 13 pmol/L.
Range: 10.80 - 25.50pmol/L

Serum free T3 level. 3 pmol/L.
Range 3.10 - 6.80pmol/L

Jan 2016 results:

Serum TSH level 0.74 mu/L
Range: 0.27 - 4.20mu/L

Serum free T4 level. 11.7 pmol/L
Range: 12.00 -22.00 pmol/L

Serum free T3 level. 2.9 pmol/L.
Range: 3.10 - 6.80pmol/L

Thank you so much any further advice in regards to these would be fantastic x

Last edited by kimmyb82; 04-24-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyroid question, hypothyroidism, thyroid blood tests, thyroid disorder