It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• have to switch medication , need help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
    brattybrat1
    (female)

brattybrat1 HB User
    have to switch medication , need help

I had hyper, did radiation 6x, hypo then found out I have Graves Disease. I tried Synthoid but it was horrible. The taste of chemicals every day was the worst. So I tried Thyroid. Its more natural and at 150mg daily. Found out they are trying to stop it. My dr said "levothyroxine". If I remember Levothyroxine and synthoid is the same. Can some help me out??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: have to switch medication , need help

I have a feeling the radiation is responsible for your altered taste sensations, not the Synthroid.

Yes, Synthroid is levothyroxine. There are various brands and generics of it levoT here in the U.S., but you're more limited in Canada, I believe.

Natural thyroid or levothyroxine are your only options to replace your now-missing own hormones. But again... It's much more likely your salivary glands and/or taste buds were shocked from the RAI. Ask your doctor about that. Hopefully, it's temporary.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
    brattybrat1
    (female)

brattybrat1 HB User
    Re: have to switch medication , need help

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    I have a feeling the radiation is responsible for your altered taste sensations, not the Synthroid.

Yes, Synthroid is levothyroxine. There are various brands and generics of it levoT here in the U.S., but you're more limited in Canada, I believe.

Natural thyroid or levothyroxine are your only options to replace your now-missing own hormones. But again... It's much more likely your salivary glands and/or taste buds were shocked from the RAI. Ask your doctor about that. Hopefully, it's temporary.

My radiation was way over 10 years ago. I have never ever had perfect blood for my thyroid. Too high or too low. I'm low at the moment. For over a year. I heard a new name "Eltroxin" . Has anyone tried it?

Reply Reply