It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hands, feet and legs fallling asleep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
    jeffwilkerson15

jeffwilkerson15 HB User
    Post Hands, feet and legs fallling asleep

Hello everyone,

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for about five years now and currently I am taking Levoxyl. For the past week, my hands, feet, and legs have been falling asleep a lot. Mainly in the morning in bed, and when I am sitting at my desk at work. When am moving around, I don't notice it a much. I know that this is a symptom of hypothyroidism, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
    jessica1

jessica1 HB User
    Oh my god, Im so happy to read this!!! This happens to me all the time, Im currently switching drs because I feel the dr Im seeing isnt properly diagnosing me. I keep complaining about all these syptoms, especially why my thryoid levels go up and down each time they are off in the past two years, never normal. I want him to test my t3 and he says no need Im depressed and go on prozac!!! Finally getting up enough courage to look somewhere else for answers. What are your levels, I too take Levoxly. Do your fingers ever feel numb?????

Old 01-13-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
    jeffwilkerson15

jeffwilkerson15 HB User
    Yes, sometimes my a hand are a little numb. I really haven't had many of hypothyroidism symptoms except very dry skin, and recently the falling asleep of my feet, legs, and hands. I also suffer from heart palpatations. I have had all the tests and the doctors say that I'm fine. I am convinced that they are related to either hypothyroidism or Levoxyl.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #4
    unwell

unwell HB User
    Are your hands and feet cold as well? Mine are also red and sore.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
    Bellajoon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bellajoon HB User
    My hands and feet get numb only when cold. It is Raynauds. Last Friday I had my gloves on before I went into the store. I took them off and they were so cold and turned so white it was frightening. I had to guy a hot chocolate just to warm them up. After I got home I noticed that they were chafed. My toes get that way too, even when I am home. Is this anything you can identify with?

Old 01-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
    mommy20boy

mommy20boy HB User
    Wow. I can relate to all of the above. I'm hypo for 14yrs. My legs and hands go numb all the time and my fingers get really cold and white--especially my pinkies! Really wierd!

Old 01-13-2003, 07:10 PM   #7
    TreeFrog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB UserTreeFrog HB User
    Smile

If this is still happening, you amy be undermedicated.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
    joyner812
    (female)

joyner812 HB User
    Re: Hands, feet and legs fallling asleep

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffwilkerson15
    Hello everyone,

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for about five years now and currently I am taking Levoxyl. For the past week, my hands, feet, and legs have been falling asleep a lot. Mainly in the morning in bed, and when I am sitting at my desk at work. When am moving around, I don't notice it a much. I know that this is a symptom of hypothyroidism, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    The same thing is happening to me and it seems to be getting worse. I am going to get a MRI tomorrow of the brain and spinal cord to see what is wrong. I am wondering if smoking might be the problem. Barb

Old 07-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
    MLWC
    (female)

MLWC HB User
    Re: Hands, feet and legs fallling asleep

I believe Raynaud's syndrome symptoms are related to, but separate from, the hypo symptoms. What I've found out is that supposedly, people who hav autoimmune disease like Hashimoto's are very likely to have Raynaud's as well. (I do have both, but have had the Raynaud's symptomatically for longer that the Hashi's...it was probably undetectable then.)

Sometimes it's not even just the cold that can do it...I've heard stress can also induce the vasospasms that cause the circulation to stop.

Even when I'm just a little bit cold, or even my torso is warm, but my feet or hands are cold, they'll go white and numb. It can take tens of minutes for them to come back...scary and uncomfortable...

-MLWC

Closed Thread