It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low T3, T4? (Help Interpreting Lab Results)

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
    mattb2222
    (male)

mattb2222 HB User
    Low T3, T4? (Help Interpreting Lab Results)

Just got results from T3, and T4 and curious if my levels are low? it looks like they are in "normal" range, but I've read that you want to be in the upper levels of the reference range. I've been having trouble with weight gain, anxiety and depression over the last few months and started wondering if it was due to thyroid issues. Any help is much appreciated. thanks.

T4,FREE(DIRECT) Result 1.05 Ref. Range 0.82-1.77 Units NG/DL
    TRIIODOTHYRONINE (T3) Result 102 Ref. Range 71-180 UnitsNG/DL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: Low T3, T4? (Help Interpreting Lab Results)

Hi! Your FT4 seems to be clearly on the low side so it may be too low for your needs. (Total) T3 measurement is inaccurate, it would be better to measure FreeT3, but your level is on the low side too which may very well explain your symptoms. How about your TSH? Are you on thyroid medication?

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-26-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
    mattb2222
    (male)

mattb2222 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
    Hi! Your FT4 seems to be clearly on the low side so it may be too low for your needs. (Total) T3 measurement is inaccurate, it would be better to measure FreeT3, but your level is on the low side too which may very well explain your symptoms. How about your TSH? Are you on thyroid medication?
    Thank you for your response. I'm not sure about Free T3 or TSH. These are the only thyroid tests they ran. I wasn't even thinking thyroid might be an issue until I read something about anxiety and low thyroid and then went back and looked at most recent lab results. I am currently not taking any medication. What is the best way to increase t3 and t4?

Last edited by Administrator; 05-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:01 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Well if you're truly HypoT the only way to increase your FreeTs is thyroid supplementation (synthetic or natural). Usually TSH is the first test to be taken and one must sometimes fight to get any other tests. If your TSH is high (or even above say 2) that would also be consistent with HypoT. Ask to have it tested, also checking thyroid Abs (TPO and/or TgAb) would be helpful - the most common cause for permanent hypoT is Hashimoto's thyroiditis that is usually revealed by high Abs. In the meantime you could look into foods/supplements that support thyroid function (I wouldn't advice you to take iodine before finding out how much iodine you're currently getting and having those Abs checked as too much iodine is bad for thyroid function), moderate exercise and proper rest are always good for you.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-27-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Reply Reply