It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Question for those who have tried Naturethroid or other natural thyroid

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

CT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB UserCT06405 HB User
    Question Question for those who have tried Naturethroid or other natural thyroid

Did you find that you became so accustomed to it that it did not work anymore? For the past year, I was on gradually increasing dosages. I ended up by March on 50 mcg. of levothyroxine and .32 Naturethroid per day. I opted to take both but at different times, and felt terrific for awhile.

Until all of a sudden I didn't. I'm exhausted all the time again. I wonder if the highs and lows caused by the T3 in the Naturethroid might not be good.

I can't take more than the above dose, or my T3 drops to about .3

I used to feel good on .112 mcg. of levothyroxine, so switched back to that five days ago, but still feel like a zombie.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have thyroid antibodies of 55 if that means anything. I've been told that is "not bad" by doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Question for those who have tried Naturethroid or other natural thyroid

What do you mean by ".32 Naturethroid"?
    Do you mean you're taking half of a one-grain (65 mg) tablet?

And what do you mean by "I opted to take both but at different times"? Different times of day... different days of the week... or what?

Last edited by midwest1; 06-13-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    What do you mean by ".32 Naturethroid"?
    Do you mean you're taking half of a one-grain (65 mg) tablet?

And what do you mean by "I opted to take both but at different times"? Different times of day... different days of the week... or what?
    Different times of day. The Naturethroid also comes in 1/2 grain tablets (.32 mg tablets). I would cut one in half with a pill splitter and take that .16 mg half pill along with my 50 mcg levothyroxine in the a.m.

Then I would take the other half pill (.16mg) of Naturethroid in the afternoon.

So daily I would take .50 mcg levothyroxine and .32 Naturethroid total, with the largest total dose in the a.m. Worked great for months, until all of a sudden it didn't. I got tired again. Adding more thyroid hormone gets my TSH too low.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

Feeling better today. I've been on .112 mg. levothyroxine for almost a week; no Naturethroid.

Maybe it took awhile for my body to readjust and convert the T4 to T3 after being on a supplement containing T3 for so long.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

What led to switching from levo alone to the combination? Was it based on lab results for free T4 and free T3?

I'm at a loss to say why the straight levo worked but the combo isn't. They're roughly equivalent doses, but that doesn't tell all. It could be you're a person who doesn't need a T3 supplement. Not everyone does. Plus, the amount of T3 in your dose is only 4.5 mcgs. That's not much.

It might help to know your latest lab results and the ones done just before the switch from levo only. Lab results shouldn't be the only decider for dose, but they are definitely needed to guide treatment direction, especially in the early months. It's impossible to get the dose right just by symptoms alone.
    Fatigue can be caused by either over- or under-treatment - or by many things totally unrelated to thyroid. Without free T levels, there's no way to know which that might be.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

I will have to give it more time to see if I feel okay on the levothyroxine alone. I did when I was on .112 mg years ago. Then I went off thyroid hormones totally for 12 years, as my new doctor thought I had not needed them in the first place.

However, last year my total T3 was definitely well below range and I also had some thyroid antibodies, so we started me on .50 levothyroxine and then slowly added Naturethroid. I wanted to try using something natural vs. all synthetic.

This worked great for awhile. My theory is that the T3 in the Naturethroid shuts down my own production enough that I would need to keep raising the dose of Naturethroid. The question is, how high?

So I will try the .112 levothyroxine for awhile and see how I feel on that. The jury is still out, as I've had some fatigue since I switched a week ago. I will get some labs done this week to see if I am converting T4 to T3 sufficiently, although it's early yet.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Levels change pretty slowly. Most people wouldn't notice a difference in the way an adjusted dose of T4 makes them feel for at least two weeks.

I suspect your main problem is that you need more hormone, probably T3 but maybe both T3 and T4. Hard to know without labs.

For general information's sake, the average full replacement dose of natural hormone for an adult woman is about 120-150 milligrams (2 to 2.5 grains). Average replacement dose of levothyroxine is about 100 - 125 micrograms... But nothing is written in stone. Everyone's needs are different.

Hope you can figure it out and will feel better soon.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #8
    CT06405
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Levels change pretty slowly. Most people wouldn't notice a difference in the way an adjusted dose of T4 makes them feel for at least two weeks.

I suspect your main problem is that you need more hormone, probably T3 but maybe both T3 and T4. Hard to know without labs.

For general information's sake, the average full replacement dose of natural hormone for an adult woman is about 120-150 milligrams (2 to 2.5 grains). Average replacement dose of levothyroxine is about 100 - 125 micrograms... But nothing is written in stone. Everyone's needs are different.

Hope you can figure it out and will feel better soon.
    I used to feel great on one grain of Naturethroid per day, split into two doses; one in the a.m., one in the afternoon. However, maybe I needed to go higher once my body adjusted to that.

Do you find you feel well all day if you take all your natural thyroid hormone in one dose in the morning?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've always taken my entire dose in the morning, and that works well for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    CT06405 (06-17-2017)
    Reply Reply