It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH over 100

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
    lupinepr

lupinepr HB User
    Unhappy TSH over 100

Can anyone tell me how long it will take for my TSH lvel to decrease. My level was 101 and after 4 weeks of treatment I am only down to 87. The crazy thing is that I am still NOT SLEEPING....Is there any hope that I will fall in the normal range. How long do you think I have had a thryoid probllem for with a level this high?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
    ArtfulD

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
    Hi lupinepr. Antithyroid meds tend to work along the same time period as thyroid meds -- approximately 4-8 weeks for the meds to be fully assimilated in the body. Unfortunately, it's not prudent for the doctor to increase your dosage more frequently, because a blood test would not be accurate while you're still processing the dose, so they need to wait that long before they can change things.

The good news is that once the TSH gets into double digits, the increase is exponential, so it jumps to high numbers fairly quickly (and drops just as fast). But I would suspect that you will need several dosage adjustments before you return to "normal." The change needs to be gradual, so it's not a shock to your body. Most adults feel best when their TSH is at or around 1.0, but it may be different for you. In the lower ranges, it takes longer for the shift; so it may take two dosage changes for you to shift from 5.0 to 1.0, but you'll get there.

In the meantime, you may want to try additional foods and supplements to help lower your levels. The Information Archive includes a list of "foods to avoid" when HYPOthyroid (such as raw cruciferous vegetables and soy), but they might actually help you. You may also find some relief from Maca, a Peruvian herb that helps balance all the body's hormones and support the adrenals (which are taking a beating with your high levels right now).

Hope you find some peace soon and are able to sleep.

Old 02-01-2003, 05:40 PM   #3
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    How much time elapsed between the the lab tests? It may take 6-8 weeks or more for T4 and TSH levels to stabilize in your blood after a dose change. TSH, even when stabilized, varies daily, so it is n't an accurate indicator of your levels once it gets into normal range.

This is a re-post of my last answer to you concerning insomnia and TSH. I think what I said is still pertinent:

Quote:
    According to the online thyroid text book at [url="http://www.thyroidmanager.org,"]www.thyroidmanager.org,[/url] TSH is only released at night. Here's the normal pattern of TSH release:

Usually around 9:00pm or so, the pituitary, in responce to a signal from the hypothalamus starts to release TSH. It continues to do so until you fall asleep. When you fall asleep, the process stops until the next day.

In cases of sleep deprivation like you describe, TSH continues to be released for a much longer period of time, meaning your TSH will be high, reardless of whether you have a thyroid problem or not. If your throid gland is OK, it will be kicking into overdrive because TSH is so high, since the purpose of TSH is to tell your thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormoes.

SO... it is possible that you may be hyperthyroid and adding thyroid meds could make the situation worse.

To avoid causing problems, your doctor should test at least Free T3 and Free T4 levels before making a diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

If Free T3 and Free T4 are within normal ranges, or low in the normal ranges, you should be treated for hypothyroidism.

If Free T3 and Free T4 are high in the normal range or either is above the normal range, then you maybe should be treated for hypERthyroidism to get your thyroid levels down just a little.

Either way, chances are that your adrenal glands are releasing excessive amounts of adrenaline to keep your body going and this is the likely cause of your insomnia. You should also look into symptoms of adrenal fatigue, Cushing's and Addison's to see if the symptoms of any of these hit home.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Closed Thread