It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Still Hyperthyroid after thyroid removal...PLEASE HELP

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
    teddiedog
    (female)

teddiedog HB User
    Still Hyperthyroid after thyroid removal...PLEASE HELP

I am a 70 year old women...I had my thyroid removed almost two years ago. I weighed around 100 pounds when my thyroid was removed and I am now 73 pounds, no energy, sleep most of the day and horrible weakness. I have tried numerous thyroid medication and I am now on armor 60mg daily....it does not seem to matter how much or when I take my medication, nothig is helping. I go to the doctors, different ones, and all I ever hear is "your numbers look good" and send me away. Has anyone else experianced still being hyper after thyroid removal and what did you do...thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Still Hyperthyroid after thyroid removal...PLEASE HELP

Thyroid "medication" isn't technically that. It's one hormone (in the case of Synthroid and other levothyroxines) or more (in the case of Armour and other natural products). The only way they don't "help" is if the dose is wrong for your needs, either too high or too low. Each person has their own hormone requirements that fall somewhere within the lab's reference ranges. Not every place within that range is adequate for any one person ... Just the same as having a shoe size within the standard range doesn't mean you can be comfortable wearing any size within it. This is where MDs err.

When doctors look only at the lab report without looking at and listening to the patient, they're making a big mistake. I have little doubt that's what's happening to you.

Sixty mgs of Armour is a pretty small dose, but it may be okay for someone your size. I suspect that your MD doesn't understand that TSH - the level of pituitary hormone that regulates thyroid production - is bound to be suppressed when Armour thyroid is the med of choice. Below-normal TSH in your case doesn't automatically mean you are hyperthyroid/over-medicated; it's just a result of the T3 hormone in that med.

However, you have actual hyperthyroid signs/symptoms that you might be surprised to know can be hypOthyroid symptoms as well. If that's the actual situation, your dose is too low. In order to know for sure what's happening, you absolutely need to have the free levels of your actual thyroid hormones - free T4 and free T3 - measured. If your doctor doesn't order the free T tests at each thyroid check, and if he bases your dose solely on TSH, he cannot possibly have an accurate picture of your thyroid status.

Whatever tests he runs or doesn't, I suggest you obtain a copy of your latest lab report. You can post the results and their ranges here if you care to. Maybe we can offer better advice based on that.

Reply Reply

Tags
    armor, hyperthyroid, hyperthyroidism, thyroid blood test, thyroid disorder