It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• T3 Uptake concerns

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
    er902
    (female)

er902 HB User
    Question T3 Uptake concerns

I had lab results done and I have concerns on my T3 uptake result.
    I asked for a copy of my results and they are as follows:

T3 Uptake - 43.7 (H)
    T4 Free - 0.88
    TSH - 1.89

The doctor didn't say anything about the T3 Uptake result but I am worried because it is a little high. I would really appreciate an explanation on it.

Thank you all in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: T3 Uptake concerns

The T3 uptake test is outdated and without much value. It tells nothing at all about your thyroid function. It was developed as a way to measure binding proteins. Then that's used to calculate an estimated free T4 measurement.
    Don't worry about your result. Worry more about having a doctor who ordered such a valueless test.

The fact that you had an uptake test strongly suggests that the "T4 Free" result you report is not that at all, but a result known as "free T4 index", which is only an estimate of the actual free T4. T3 uptake is used as part of a math equation that arrives at the Ft4 index. Free T4 can be accurately and directly measured on its own, and that's the level that's most trustworthy.

If that free T4 result was arrived at by direct measurement, it is rather low on the most typical lab references. (Post the reference range to know for sure, because they do vary among labs.) That would mean you probably have at least a few symptoms of low thyroid.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    er902 (07-13-2017)
    Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
    er902
    (female)

er902 HB User

Thank you for this information. What lab tests would you recommend me to do in order to find out if I do or don't have any thyroid issues?

Old 07-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The best set of tests of thyroid function is TSH, free T4 (by direct dialysis, not "index"), and free T3. If hypothyroidism is suspected, the thyroid antibodies TPO and Tg tests might prove useful as well. If hyperthyroidism is supected, TSI antibodies testing should be done.

If TSH is consistently near 2 or above, it's suspect for hypothyroidism, no matter if it's still within the normal lab range. If TSH of 2 is coupled with free T4 (and/or free T3) below lab median, there will most likely be multiple symptoms. Thyroid supplementation with prescription hormone should be at least tried.
    If any of the thyroid antibodies is positive and there are symptoms, a trial of hormone should be given.
    Doctors aren't taught this way in school and too many cling to what they're taught for their entire career. It's hard to get help from a doctor like that. Others have open minds and learn good thyroid care as they go through their careers. You're more likely to get help from them.

Reply Reply