It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Nodule

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2003, 08:43 AM   #1
    Rachelyne

Rachelyne HB User
    Question Thyroid Nodule

Hello everyone:
    I was reading a lot of posts from everyone. I was impressed on how much you people know. I am lucky to find this bulletin board. I have few questions:
    I have two thyroid nodule. The fine needle Biopsy says:
    Thyroid, Right lobe, inferior nodule 2.2 Cm
    Abundant background thin colloid containing sheets of follicular epithelium aspirated.
    Final Diagnosis: Colloid nodule, NIH 1.

(whatever that means!)
    next nodule:
    Thyroid, Right Lobe-isthmus nodule 2.7 cm
    Numerous microfollicles with small bifocally clear nuclei aspirated.
    Final Diagnosis: Suspicious for follicular variant of papillary carcinoma.
    At the end it says:
    Comment:
    This may also represent follicular adenoma with focal nuclear clearing.

(Whatever this means!!)

Can any one translate these finding for me? Thank you so Much,
    Rachelyne

P.S. I have Hi Cholesterol (260) and 500 count of triglycrides at my test a month ago. Everything in my blood test was normal except for the Cholesterol and tri. I was 175lbs. I am 50 years old. Now I am 160 pounds. I think these nodules are fatty tissues??

------------------
    Rachelyne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2003, 10:50 AM   #2
    ringbearer

ringbearer HB User
    Hello,
    Unfortunately thyroid nodules are often difficult to diagnose by FNA. In your second nodule they simply could not rule out the possibility of cancer. When follicular cells are abnormal they often cannot tell if they are benign or cancerous without more tissue to study.

Thyroid nodules are not uncommon, but cancerous ones are much more rare. They are not fatty tissue. Problems with the thyroid are sometimes associated with cholesterol problems, but that may or may not be the case with you. I’ve not read anything that suggests high cholesterol can cause thyroid nodules.

Your doctor should explain these results to you and give you guidance. They may wish to give you some medication and do the tests again in several months, hoping to shrink the nodules. They may suggest surgery. It will be up to you. Tumors over 3 cm are routinely taken out, but under that size, they will often watch them. It will depend on your comfort level with the situation.

Try not to worry. Even if the worst is true (which is unlikely), this type of cancer is very treatable and you have found it early. Do pursue the situation however, to avoid unhappy surprises down the road. Blessings!

Old 02-18-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
    Rachelyne

Rachelyne HB User
    Talking

Thank you so much for your reply. If you are not a doctor I think you should become one. You answred me better than my doctor. He just told me to take half my thyroid out to test to see if it is cancerous. He did not suggest any other alternatives.

------------------
    Rachelyne

Old 02-18-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
    ringbearer

ringbearer HB User
    Well, thank you, but you definitely need to listen to your doctor. I know all of this because I have just been through it all myself. These were all of the alternatives that I was given. I did choose to have it removed. For whatever reason, your doctor may not feel the other alternatives are good ones for you. You do have a right to be informed and feel that you understand everything before you are treated, so do ask questions and get all the information you can. I suggest you look into the “our stories” thread and the “archive” thread on this board to get more information. It is a little overwhelming, but very helpful.

Old 02-18-2003, 06:52 PM   #5
    DDawn

Hi and would like to offer something as well. After my FNAB results (which were inconclusive), I went to another endo for a second opinion. Now this is soooo unlike me because, frankly, I never really valued them and really didn't think I had time. But I found I had six weeks after my FNAB results until the time I was to see my doc, so I made an appt with another one.

I was really glad I did. I brought copies of my bloodwork, ultrasound and FNA results. This new doc wasn't someone I'd consider switching to, but I sought him as more of a consultant on my results rather than to treat me. He spent the first 10 minutes giving his opinion on the results and recommended treatment. The last 10 minutes I used to just fire off questions that he answered. I don't think I learned anything new, but it did help confirm that I was on the right path. Plus it helped pass the time - because those 6 weeks after the FNA seemed like an eternity.

As others have shared with you, thyroid cancer is pretty rare - so your changes are good that the end result will be something else. I actually had the follicular variant of pap ca and will undergo RAI this week. I only had a thryroidectomy 5 weeks ago, but I feel great (except for the bout of hypo - just accepting those few extra pounds that will soon be gone).

Hang in there. The toughest part of my thyroid treatment, from what I've experienced, is the waiting time between appts when you're trying to get your meds to the right level.

Good luck and please let us know how everything goes!!

DD

Closed Thread