It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Antibodies and other blood results, help?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
    Evie1414
    (female)

Evie1414 HB User
    Antibodies and other blood results, help?

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some insight.

I'm 27 and have had some symptoms of hypothyroid for years. 3/4 years ago I had bloods that the doctor just said were normal and never thought about it again, although I know I have those results around here somewhere. Then recently had my thyroid checked as part of recurrent miscarriage testing but my consultant only checked my TSH which I was told was normal and nothing else. At this point I decided to dig a little deeper on my own and went private for a more detailed check including antibodies. These were positive although not far out of range, however all the function tests are normal, FT4 is borderline low but not sure what anything means so hoping someone with more experience can give me an opinion. Here are my results:

TSH - 2.09 mIU/L [0.27 - 4.20]
    FT4 - 12.46 pmol/L [12.00 - 22.00]
    T4 - 92.0 nmol/L [59.00 - 154.00]
    FT3 - 4.85 pmol/L [3.10 - 6.80]

Thyroglobulin antibody - 127.300 IU/mL [0.00 - 115.00]
    Thyroid peroxidase antibodies - 35.32 IU/mL [0.00 - 34.00]

The thyroid check included a few other bits too:

Vitamin B12 - 257 pmol/L [140.00 - 724.00]
    Folate - >19.98 ug/L [2.91 - 50.00]
    Ferritin - 45.09 ug/L [13.00 - 150.00]

The B12 seems a bit on the low side so I'll be getting some supplements, but not sure if anything else could do with a boost. Any thoughts about the whole thing? Should I just accept that nothing is out of range enough to be treated?

Thank you in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Antibodies and other blood results, help?

No! Do not accept it! You will find it very hard to have a successful pregnancy with those levels. You clearly are dealing with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Your T4/T3 are too low and your TSH too high for pregnancy. And the TPO antibodies are a recognized cause of miscarriage even when thyroid levels happen to be so-called "normal".

If you can get a copy of Living Well With Hypothyroidism, read the chapter that deals with the author's unsuccessful attempts at conception until her thyroid levels were appropriately adjusted.

Don't give up on finding an expert who recognizes all these facts and who will treat your hypothyroidism appropriately. Too much is at stake for you. I would hate to see you waste any more time and heartache on this.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Evie1414 (07-21-2017)
    Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
    Evie1414
    (female)

Evie1414 HB User

Thank you so much! It really helps to have someone that agrees that my results could be a factor in the miscarriages. I'll push my consultant to give me more meds, though I don't anticipate it will be an easy battle! I'll look into that book too

Old 07-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hugs to you, Evie.
    Here's to a healthy baby in your near future!

Reply Reply