It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroxine

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
    MollieB
    (female)

MollieB HB User
    Thyroxine

Hello
    I'm new on here. I was wondering if anyone who is taking thyroxine had noticed a worsening of symptoms of hypothyroidism when the pharmacy changed to a new drug supplier. I take thyroxine 100 micro grams for 12 years and over the past two or three months noticed feeling more tired and anxious. I wasn't that great before that but coped better with the symptoms. My medication says it's a new formula and it's a new drug company too. Could it be that or thevfact that I've started taking vitamin supplements? Maybe Bcomplex?

I'm so confused in my thinking and I'm finding trawling through all the information in books and online so draining.
    I would be very grateful if anyone could help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Thyroxine

It's highly possible that the change in drug manufacturers is to blame.
    If you can no longer get the one you've been taking, you should have your blood levels checked and adjust the dose of the current med to better fit your needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    MollieB (08-06-2017)
    Old 08-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
    MollieB
    (female)

MollieB HB User

The new brand is Teva thyroxine sodium. I think there is something in it making me feel toxic. Bloated and headaches! My TSH just before I started the new batch was 1.5. Is anyone else on this brand?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The med isn't "toxic" unless you have an allergy to one of the inert ingredients/ It's most likely you're feeling the effect of returning hypothyroid symptoms. You either aren't absorbing the active ingredient the same way, or the pill isn't meeting the same standards as your old one.
    Different brands use different inert components that bind or bulk up the pills that contain the thyroid hormone. The inerts don't agree with every physiology, which is why you'd be wise to stick with the one that works.

I looked up the Teva brand and found multiple reports of ineffectiveness and potency issues. It was even recalled at one point. I would go back to what you were taking, were I you.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-08-2017 at 07:10 AM.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
    MollieB
    (female)

MollieB HB User

Oh my goodness! That's shocking. I'll definitely see my GP tomorrow and request another brand. As if we Hypos don't have enough to deal with with the drug companies messing up. Thanks so much for telling me that. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this now.

Reply Reply