It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TPO Antibodies 11 - is it Hashimoto's, or could it be something else?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
    Wishesx0
    (female)

Wishesx0 HB User
    Question TPO Antibodies 11 - is it Hashimoto's, or could it be something else?

Hi guys!
    So, I have read the message boards for a long time now, but this is the first time becoming a member.

I've suffered from Hypothyroid-like symptoms for seven years now. I recently had an episode of Hyperthyroid-like symptoms, and I was suspecting Hashimoto's so I got my TPO antibodies done again. They were at 11. Lab range only flags it if it is above 34, but recent updates usually flag it if it is above nine. That plus my Hypothyroid symptoms (literally, about two pages long! ): )

With my normal iron and high ferratin levels and elevated white blood cells (while feeling normal), I suspected that I have inflammation. My doctor prescribed a 5-day-pack of Medrol for inflammation, and I've never felt better! of course, it was only five days.../:

But, I've read that having slightly elevated TPO antibodies may not mean it's actually from Hashimoto's - that it could be another autoimmune disease, like lupus.

So, I'm wondering. Have any of you heard this? My symptoms seem to match with Hashimoto's the most, but then again there's over 100 autoimmune diseases.

And I wonder if it's possible that I don't have an autoimmune disease (hopefully). I've noticed that when I exercised, my symptoms flare up, and I also get sick really easily. I get ear infections, colds, the flu, bronchitis, etc all the time, and it lasts two weeks, one month (usually), or even longer than two months.

Any thoughts? Really lost here. ): I've had these symptoms for seven years that's been adding up more and more. I'm also 19 years old, was active and in sports all my life, and even though I used to eat like crap - my diet is somewhat better now. It's not perfectly clean, but I do try to avoid a lot of processed foods, etc.

Edit: I should also mention that my TSH, Free t4, t3 were all NORMAL. Except my reverse t3 was high.

Last edited by Wishesx0; 09-21-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: TPO Antibodies 11 - is it Hashimoto's, or could it be something else?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wishesx0 View Post
    Hi guys!
    So, I have read the message boards for a long time now, but this is the first time becoming a member.

I've suffered from Hypothyroid-like symptoms for seven years now. I recently had an episode of Hyperthyroid-like symptoms, and I was suspecting Hashimoto's so I got my TPO antibodies done again. They were at 11. Lab range only flags it if it is above 34, but recent updates usually flag it if it is above nine. That plus my Hypothyroid symptoms (literally, about two pages long! ): )

With my normal iron and high ferratin levels and elevated white blood cells (while feeling normal), I suspected that I have inflammation. My doctor prescribed a 5-day-pack of Medrol for inflammation, and I've never felt better! of course, it was only five days.../:

But, I've read that having slightly elevated TPO antibodies may not mean it's actually from Hashimoto's - that it could be another autoimmune disease, like lupus.

So, I'm wondering. Have any of you heard this? My symptoms seem to match with Hashimoto's the most, but then again there's over 100 autoimmune diseases.

And I wonder if it's possible that I don't have an autoimmune disease (hopefully). I've noticed that when I exercised, my symptoms flare up, and I also get sick really easily. I get ear infections, colds, the flu, bronchitis, etc all the time, and it lasts two weeks, one month (usually), or even longer than two months.

Any thoughts? Really lost here. ): I've had these symptoms for seven years that's been adding up more and more. I'm also 19 years old, was active and in sports all my life, and even though I used to eat like crap - my diet is somewhat better now. It's not perfectly clean, but I do try to avoid a lot of processed foods, etc.

Edit: I should also mention that my TSH, Free t4, t3 were all NORMAL. Except my reverse t3 was high.
    Since your TPO antibodies were only slightly elevated, I would ask for TG antibodies to be checked. Either one if elevated, can indicate Hashimoto disease, and it may be that your TG antibodies are higher, and would answer that question. You also should have some additional antibodies tested, checking for lupus and similar autoimmune diseases. Since you get infections so often, immune deficiency can be tested as well. It is common for Hashimoto disease and other autoimmune diseases to coexist and for lupus and immune deficiencies to coexist. A rheumatology Dr will be the best for checking the autoimmune diseases and an immunology Dr for the immune deficiencies. Good luck and I hope you get some answers and effective treatment.

Reply Reply

Tags
    antibodies, autoimmune, hashimotos, thyroid, tpo