It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cytomel Effects/Buildup/Dosage Questions

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
    ashleyjake13
    (female)

ashleyjake13 HB User
    Arrow Cytomel Effects/Buildup/Dosage Questions

Hello. I have been through many threads on this forum and have learned a lot of good information. You all seem very helpful.

I am a 19 year old female. I am being treated for hypothyroidism most likely due to a previous period of prolonged, severe anorexia. There were some days when I only ate an apple. During this period, my hunger pangs died off, my GI system came to almost a dead halt, and I grew very ill and was no longer able to play sports like I used to. When my mom finally realized what was happening, she forced me to start eating again--but I believe it was too late.

She was convinced that my symptoms would dissipate once I started eating normally again, but it has been five years and I still experience zero hunger pangs, little GI movement (I'm dependent on myralax at this point), almost constant weight gain even though I only try to eat a 1,200-1,400 calorie diet daily, little tolerance for exercise (I get exhausted and out of breath easily, especially during hikes for some reason), extreme fatigue (to the point where I sometimes have to pull over when I am driving and rest a moment), and a serious inability to concentrate.

Additionally, I have a body temperature of about 97.2 degrees most days, I am unable to adapt to temperature change and get hypo/hyperthermic easily, I lose hair by the handfuls, and I have a terrible immune system.

I don't have my results with me, but my cortisol levels are normal, my TSH is normal, T4 is normal, T3 is low, and RT3 is high. I have no thyroid disorders and my issues would be classified as NTIS. I've been trying to read as much as I can about all of these results and I've come to determine that this all must have been brought on due to my bout of anorexia. I have read that periods of starvation can cause your body to go into a stress mode where most T4 is converted into RT3, levels of which contribute to hypothyroid symptoms. With that being said, I believe that the source of the problem at this point must really just be the low T3, high RT3 levels in my body. I am predicting that as long as I eat right and work to increase T3/decrease RT3 hopefully my metabolism will get up and functioning again. That's my end goal at this point.

I have low ferritin levels and I am taking 30 mg/daily to hopefully raise those. Otherwise, nothing is abnormal in my body except for the T3/RT3. I am seeing a doctor who does not know too much about NTIS (who does, though?), however he was kind enough to allow me to try Cytomel as an attempt to directly raise T3 levels and see what difference that makes. Three days ago I began taking 20 mcg, 10 mcg 2x a day.

I haven't had any negative side effects from it. In fact, it feels like I'm not taking anything at all except for the fact that I actually feel a slight boost of energy from it 1 hr after taking it until probably 2-3 hours later. For the first time in months, I was able to get up and go to the gym to do some light jogging yesterday! I'm still tired, but I'm functional. Even if this is all cytomel will ever do for me, I appreciate even this. Nevertheless, I was wondering if any of you guys who have also taken cytomel experienced an increase in GI function/metabolism? Other than the sheer exhaustion, getting those things back are my biggest concerns right now. I have read from others' posts that it takes a while for things to start improving, but I wondered if anyone has gotten their GI function/appetite back in particular? If so, were there certain foods you ate or exercises you did in tandem to help bring it back?

I was also wondering what the significance of serum T3 levels is compared to bodily T3 levels. One of the threads I was reading was saying that although it's short-lived in your body, it takes maybe a month or two to build up that serum T3 level. What's the difference and how does the serum T3 level affect everything vs the bodily level?

Oh, and one last question. How do you guys know you are at a good dosage? Do you just go up one dosage too high, experience negative effects, and come back down, or what?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for all your help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    anorexia, cytomel, metabolism