It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• any more selenium info?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Post any more selenium info?

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's two weeks ago and am still coming to terms with it (shock that I have a "disease," but relief from all I've read that it doesn't seem that bad as far as diseases go). I didn't think I had any major symptoms (the Hashi's was discovered during a routine check-up) but now I realize I was sleeping a lot, had a vague pressure in my throat on and off, was feeling colder than everyone else, had tingling in hands/feet, more hair shedding than usual in recent years, and intermittent depression/anxiety but hey, I live in NYC - who isn't depressed and anxious here these days. I've been on Synthroid for 10 days and go back to the endo in 2 weeks.

Anyway, the thing that scares me most are these antibodies that apparently don't go away and will keep destroying my poor thyroid. I read the German study about selenium reducing antibodies, and did a search here and on the Internet about it. Does anyone have any more info, or personal success stories with their antibodies decreasing while on selenium? I'm trying to conceive and have read those antibodies cause an even higher incidence of miscarriage. I'm taking 200 mcg per day (haven't told my endo yet), and also EPO for the hair shedding.

Thanks for any feedback ... I'm glad I found this message board, as I'd never heard of Hashi's before but now see how common it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Welcome to the board. If you're unlucky enough to have thyroid problems, this is a great place to be.

I haven't been diagnosed with it yet, but I have an elevated TSH, two dozen symptoms, an internist who doesn't think I have a problem at all, and an appointment for an endo next month. I have lots of time to read everything there is on the subject, and this is what I found regarding selenium supplements and hypo-T --

In a studies, when selenium supplements were given to people deficient in both iodine and selenium, thyroid dysfunction was aggravated, and it has been suggested that selenium deficiency may provide some protection when there is iodine deficiency. The authors concluded that selenium supplementation seems to be safe in people with only iodine deficiency but not in people with combined selenium and iodine deficiencies.

Because it's likely that you really don't know exactly what (or any) deficiency you might have - doctor's rarely do testing for them at the outset - you'd probably be safest not to overindulge in any of them without doctor's advice. You could do more harm than good.

It's likely that I've been iodine-deficient for decades, even though the 'experts' say it's rare in the U.S. in this day and age. But for the time being, till I get a diagnosis, I'm not even going to take a daily multi-vitamin/mineral tablet until I get the ok from an expert.

Old 03-19-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Thanks for your feedback, Midwest1. I spoke to my endo yesterday about taking selenium, and he said it wouldn't hurt. He hadn't heard about the Munich study (I'll show it to him next time I go - his speciality seems to be diabetes, not thyroid). The study of the 72 German women doesn't say whether or not they had selenium and/or iodine deficiency before the study, only that they all had autoimmunie thyroiditis and were normalized on their thyroid hormone treatment. It also doesn't say whether the selenium was adversarial for any of them. Can you tell me which study you read that concluded that "selenium supplementation seems to be safe in people with only iodine deficiency but not in people with combined selenium and iodine deficiencies"? I'd like to read it out of curiosity. Anyway, I guess I'll keep taking the 200 mcg per day and see what happens.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    You must have advanced scientific background to understand this subject so completely? I'm just an average Jane Doe, who just ran across this accidently, really. The reason I didn't simply include a link in my first reply to the webpage where I found this is that I think the rules on this board forbid links to .com sites. I'm learning far too much here, and am receiving too much support, to risk being banned...LOL

Here are the references that were cited. Maybe you'll be able to find the original articles if you search the Web.

Corvilain B, Contempre B, Longombe AO, et al. Selenium and the thyroid: how the relationship was established. Am J Clin Nutr 1993;57:244S248S [review].

Vanderpas JB, Contempre B, Duale NL, et al. Selenium deficiency mitigates hypothyroxinemia in iodine-deficient subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 1993 Feb;57(2 Suppl):271S275S [review].

Roti E, Minelli R, Gardini E, et al. Selenium administration does not cause thyroid insufficiency in subjects with mild iodine deficiency and sufficient selenium intake. J Endocrinol Invest 1993;7:4814.

(BTW, I visited NYC for the first time last fall. It seemed to me that tripping over tourists like me must be one of the biggest stresses NY'ers encounter daily...LOL But they never let on, bless their patient hearts. I had a wonderful time.)

Old 03-19-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Hi Midwest - No, I don't have a scientific background, wish I did right now. Though there seems to be a lot that's unknown about this thing, but like you I'm learning a lot here too. The references you gave sound interesting and I'll follow them up. Thanks. I read somewhere that about 25% of people who have one autoimmune disease are susceptible to getting another (most of which sound much scarier than Hashi's, i.e. MS and lupus). Sounds like reducing these antibodies is the way to go, which is my mission!

Old 03-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
    How do they diagnose Hashimotos?

Old 03-19-2003, 03:35 PM   #7
    Meep
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
    To definitively diagnose Haashimoto's requires a biopsy. I thinkg a FNA is all that is required. However, the presence of thyroid antibodies other than Graves is a pretty solid indicator that you likely have Hashimoto's and this is how most doctors "diagnose" a person as having Hashimoto's.

------------------
    Danny
    American Thyroid Patients Board Member
    American Thyroid Patients Patient Advocate

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 03-20-2003, 11:08 AM   #8
    Emsybobs
    Inactive

Emsybobs HB User
    So your TSH score could be normal? What are the main symptoms?

Old 03-20-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
    ArtfulD

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
    A big NYC welcome, Missvee. If you've not yet had a chance, our Information Archive thread has several listings regarding Selenium, Hashimoto's and other forms of Thyroiditis, Maca and other supplements that may also help, etc.
    [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html[/url]

Hashi's is quite annoying, but it can be stabilized. I've also found acupuncture and glandular balancing to be very helpful with my thyroid problems (Hashi's and surgery for thyroid cancer). We're allowed to post doctor's names if you're interested.

Hang in there.

Old 03-24-2003, 09:24 AM   #10
    missvee

missvee HB User
    Thank you for the welcome, ArtfulD. I think I read all the selenium info I could find on this site (and elsewhere on the Internet) - it's my first time in a message forum so I'm trying to do the right thing and not annoyingly ask questions already asked hundreds of times before! A question for you: I think you wrote earlier that thyroid medication can affect period regularity. I started on Synthroid just over two weeks ago. My period was due the first day I took it, but it didn't arrive for ten days (it's always been pretty regular, even though I have Hashimoto's). I phoned my endo on Day 9 to see if this was a normal side effect, and he said No, the Synthroid wouldn't affect my menstrual cycle, and could I pregnant. I said Unlikely but I'd buy a pregnancy test on the way home. He said Oh, those things are unreliable (another surprise, as the pack says 99% accuracy!) and that I should make an appointment. I bought one anyway and it was negative. Then my period arrived the next day so that was that. So is he wrong? Does Synthroid affect the cycle? And if so, does it get back to normal when the TSH stabilizes? Anyone else had this happen?

Closed Thread