It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH >20

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
    polyak

polyak HB User
    Post TSH >20

I finally figured out why I have been so exhausted over the past few months My TSH is over 20. I'm an ER nurse and to be honest i've not been much of a team player due to the exhaustion I feel as much as I try. My doctor increased me from .125 mcg to .15 mcg with no dialogue of a follow up tsh/exam etc. Its time for me to to doc shop so I guess my question is for anyone who wants to take a stab at it is this....is the TSH level at a dangerous level? (thyroidectomy 1975) and is the Synthroid increase reasonable or should it be increase a little more than that? Yes i should ask my doctor but he blows me off so thus is why i'm here for the moment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
    Aimee8396
    Veteran
    (female)

Aimee8396 HB User
    I would think the DR. would want you to have a follow up TSH in at least 6-8 weeks to see if the dose increase helped. Why did you have your thyroid removed? I only ask because if it was for cancer the DRs. say that your TSH should be kept under 1 to supress any new tissue growth. I think if your current Dr. is so blase about your TSH at 20, then it's time to shop around. I don't think you will have any permanent damage. They elevate TSH levels to perform certain tests all the time, so I don't think that will be an issue. You do need a Dr. who will order a test any time you feel a little off, It's probably your thyroid. Also as we age, and gain/lose weight, or have babies, we may need a dose change due to differing needs our bodies have. I wish you the best of luck! Aimee

Closed Thread