It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

maybe hypothyroidism? want opinions from those WITH hypo

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
kelbell4312
(female)

kelbell4312 HB User
maybe hypothyroidism? want opinions from those WITH hypo

Hi all! I am new here and this is my first post. I think this will be kind of long but i'll try and keep it simple as I can!

About Myself:
22 year old female
98 lbs, 5'1" height
generally not very active beyond normal daily activities (trying to change that though)

So last November I got a physical for the first time in forever and had mentioned some things to the doctor (that I used to feel faint a lot when on walks - never actually fainted, but would have vision starting to blacken and not able to walk straight, and also orthostatic hypotension) which he thought possibly could be a thyroid issue so along with the normal blood tests for the physical he had my TSH and Free T4 tested as well.

My TSH came back as 4.68 reference being 0.450 - 4.500 so slightly above reference. Free T4 was 1.18 reference being 0.82 - 1.77 so pretty decent it seems.

However after he had mentioned thyroid at the appointment I tried to learn more about it and found that many of the professional organizations really define optimal TSH as being below about 2.5 or 3.0 so then I got to thinking maybe I DO have a mild thyroid problem. Some other symptoms I have fatigue - many days I really don't feel like doing much of anything even though in my head there are many things I wish to get done, last summer there was a few weeks whee I absolutely did not want to get up despite sleeping many hours. I wasn't sure if my sleep was just very poor for some reason those weeks, or if I was sort of depressed or what but it was so strange. Also lately have been forgetting things so easily, like if I think of something I wanted to say to my mom and I go to her a minute later and have already forgotten what I wanted to say (not sure if that type of thing can be thyroid related or not). I get cold pretty easily too, my parents like to keep the thermostat at 68 or so and I often wear a hoodie around the house. Also, my LDL cholesterol at that physical was a little high (139, reference being below 100) which I understand can be associated with hypothyroidism, granted my diet is also not the greatest (trying to gradually work on that as well). All other blood lipids were normal, blood counts normal, vitamin D low (not a surprise to me though).

The last thing which occurred about a month ago (Sept 7th) I woke up to the room SPINNING which was momentarily terrifying. I went to the urgent care the next day and they did flush my ears out as there was soo much wax, and there was excess fluid in my ear which would have caused the balance problems. The Dr. said it was congestion from allergies even though I didn't really have other allergy symptoms and told me to take allergy meds. After 10 days I finally felt normal EXCEPT when laying down which I STILL do not feel normal if I lay my head too flat. This particular issue could very well not be thyroid related at all but thought I'd include it just in case anyone has had this type of experience too.

I intend to go to another Dr within the next month or two and have them check my thyroid levels again to see where it's currently at if it's lower, higher, or what.

In the mean time I'm just curious if anyone could weigh in if they've had any similar experiences or if they've had similar numbers to mine and what type of symptoms you've had.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: maybe hypothyroidism? want opinions from those WITH hypo

I had multiple symptoms, including dizziness, when I first asked for a screening TSH test. That MD actually refused me the test until I insisted on it. When it came back at 4.83, he said it was "normal" and would not treat; but I had my answer. I took myself to another doctor who was more thyroid-astute, got my diagnosis, and began treatment. It's a longer story from there, but in short... now that my levels have been optimized for my personal needs, the symptoms are gone.

Your FT4 of 1.1 is below lab median of 1.3, which would cause at least a few symptoms for most people and a lot of problems for others.

Keep in mind that "mild" cases aren't about the numbers on the lab sheet, because the same numbers within a different body can cause varying degrees of symptom severity. You have a particular set of levels that are optimal for YOU, and you can't limp along if they're not. One size isn't "fits all".

I suggest when you see the next doctor, try to get the blood drawn as early in the morning as possible. TSH is generally at its highest just before dawn and falls throughout the day. The higher the TSH result, the more likely you'll be to get a diagnosis from any TSH-worshipping MD.

Last edited by midwest1; 10-04-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
kelbell4312
(female)

kelbell4312 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

I suggest when you see the next doctor, try to get the blood drawn as early in the morning as possible. TSH is generally at its highest just before dawn and falls throughout the day.
That is really good to know! It was about 3:30 PM or so when I had that TSH drawn so I'll be sure to get a morning appointment this time. I'm starting to really think that all these random little issues that I've had could very well be due to my thyroid. It'd be awesome to not feel so blah all the time!

Old 10-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

Dear kelbell,

Our thyroid needs and levels are all different. Thyroid is a hormone and there is no set hormone level that is perfect for a set group of people. it's highly individual. You need to find a thyroid savvy doctor. OR, sometimes you can use the words 'just humor me' to try a higher dose of thyroid, then report whether there was symptom improvement.

One way to find a knowledgeable thyroid doctor is to ask pharmacists at different pharmacies for names of doctors in your area that prescribe natural thyroid hormones. Then check them out on Yelp.

My levels must show to be on the low side or I am definitely ill from hypothyroid symptoms.

Be diligent and you can get proper treatment.

Last edited by YaYagirl; 10-04-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
hypo, hypothyroidism, symptoms, thyroid