It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Multiple Auto Immune Diseases...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2003, 07:01 PM   #1
    GinaCecile

GinaCecile HB User
    Question Multiple Auto Immune Diseases...

I was wondering If anyone had multiple Auto Immune Disorders and If so which kind of Doctor do you see?

My mom has five different Auto Immune Diseases and she was misdiagnosed for years. She was initally diagnosed with Graves disease wich took almost a year and over twenty med's to diagnose .. recently she almost died from Auto Immune Hemolitic Anemia... it was misdiagnosed for six months.

Anyway, I have been bounced around for years to different doc's... was diagnosed with major depression and pritty much told that everything else was a side effect of a mental disorder untill recently.. I went in with severe fatigue... expecting to be told to up my antidepressant and try to get out more.

Finally my new doc said took a serious look at my labs and said I was hypothyroid. My labs have been almost consistant for three years. EEKK!

I would love any advice on who to see next. I want to make sureI get the best advice/care around for my mother and myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2003, 07:04 PM   #2
    dea4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
    HI,
    I'm not sure about the other problems, but for thyroid disorders I think its best to see and endocrinologist.
    Good luck!

Old 03-29-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
    ronaldo1

ronaldo1 HB User
    I am very sorry to hear about the problems being experienced by yourself and your mother.

I am pretty sure that I have a number of autoimmune diseases although I have not been formally diagnosed yet. So far I think I have Hashimotos (endocrinologist), sjogrens (opthamologist), and now I am freaking about Multiple sclerosis as well (neurologist). From a wholistic viewpoint though, I think that it is best to see an immunologist, since they are all related to dysfuntion of the immune system. I have seen two to date.

What diseases does your mother suffer from?

Old 03-29-2003, 07:37 PM   #4
    GinaCecile

GinaCecile HB User
    Thanks so very much for the advice, My mother has graves disease, hemolitic anemia, not sure the proper name but something to do with enzimes and her gull bladder, she can not absorb certain vitamins,,.. B12?? not sure on the proper name on that one either. Right now she is severly hypothyroid. (she has had her thyroid removed) She is taking predazone for the anemia so they won't raise here synthroid levels.

Anyway, Thanks again....

Old 03-29-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
    krotondi

krotondi HB User
    Interesting timing, Gina.

I have lived with Lupus for many years, and now suspect that I have Hashimoto's as well.

I've recently learned that it is not uncommon for sufferers of one auto-immune disease to develop one or more later on. I'm convinced that hormones play a vital role in antibodies attacking our systems. Although unfortunate, it makes sense that these antibodies can attack any part of our body.

So far my blood, heart lining, lungs, muscles, spine, joints and now thyroid have been involved. Just when I'm feeling better, boom! Always something.

As far as doctors...I see a rheumatologist for the lupus and am thinking of visiting an endocrinologist for the thyroid.

Best of luck to you and your mom.

karen

[This message has been edited by krotondi (edited 03-30-2003).]

Closed Thread