It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• anyone had adrenal/coritsol level tested?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
    miller01

miller01 HB User
    Question anyone had adrenal/coritsol level tested?

Has anyone had their adrenal gland tested? My endo allowed me to take a 24 hour urine test for free cortisol and creat, as well as a blood coritsol level. She really didn't think it would do me good..huh.

I have been so fatigued and mentally unalert this past month. She increased my Levoxyl (.088) and it caused palpitations and burning sensations in palms and feet. So I went back to lower level (.075). So that tells me that it isn't my thryoid. My TSH came back at 2.97 at that testing. The lastest is 2.01.

Could that actually mean that there is something else going on with me? I literally feel like I am dying inside. Any input?

P.S. She also prescribed me Paxil. I don't want to take it before ruling out all physical causes. Is this typical?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
    Idofaces

Idofaces HB User
    I have had four test to check my cortisol in my adrenals. Two were high. Then they did the24 hr. urine which was still in "range" but high then they did the supression test. Which said i guess I was ok. I don't really know why my levels were are so high. They keep saying stress. But it does make you feel icky. I had a cr of my adrenals and internal organs to make sure there was not a cyst. Tho I do have thyroid problems. I take 150mg of Effexor XR in the morning for my joint pain and dizziness, doesn't help me much with my sluggishness, but my brain is sharper. I take 100mg of Trazodone at night for deep 4 sleep. Both are anti depressents but used to help with pain.

Old 04-13-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
    wobbly
    Veteran

wobbly HB User
    Have you had your T3 tested? Some people just don't feel good when taking T4 only, and adding T3 helps them. Your T4 levels might be OK, but your T3 could still be low.

"Gentlemen, nothing's too good for the proletariat!"
    --Union organizer "Big Bill" Heywood

Old 04-14-2003, 05:38 PM   #4
    dee33

dee33 HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by miller01:
    Has anyone had their adrenal gland tested? My endo allowed me to take a 24 hour urine test for free cortisol and creat, as well as a blood coritsol level. She really didn't think it would do me good..huh.

I have been so fatigued and mentally unalert this past month. She increased my Levoxyl (.088) and it caused palpitations and burning sensations in palms and feet. So I went back to lower level (.075). So that tells me that it isn't my thryoid. My TSH came back at 2.97 at that testing. The lastest is 2.01.

Could that actually mean that there is something else going on with me? I literally feel like I am dying inside. Any input?

P.S. She also prescribed me Paxil. I don't want to take it before ruling out all physical causes. Is this typical?
    I have the Adrenal Stress Index (ASI) test done every 1-2 years. It is a saliva test that tests free cortisol at 4 times during the day. Supposedly blood cortisol tests measure *total* cortisol, and not *free* cortisol. I don't know about the urine test.

The ASI is commonly done by holistic MDs and Naturopaths. In my case, it showed that I was deficient in DHEA, and also my cortisol was low at certain points of the day. I take DHEA supplementation, and also some natural substances to support my adrenals. After several years, my cortisol is nearly normal, and I feel much better.

Dee

Old 04-15-2003, 08:47 PM   #5
    miller01

miller01 HB User
    Thanks for your responses. No, I have never had my T3 checked. I asked my endo and she doesn't do that testing. Why, I dunno.

Can you order saliva tests from internet? And would I need a doc to explain it to me? Can you take DHEA over the counter? Should I hold off until I get saliva test? Will alternative doc do T3 test? Maybe I need to go that route.

I called alternative med doc and its $220 for visit. I don't know if it would be worth the expense, huh? I have never been to one...what do you think?

Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
    dee33

dee33 HB User
    Wink

Quote:
    Originally posted by miller01:
    Thanks for your responses. No, I have never had my T3 checked. I asked my endo and she doesn't do that testing. Why, I dunno.

Can you order saliva tests from internet? And would I need a doc to explain it to me? Can you take DHEA over the counter? Should I hold off until I get saliva test? Will alternative doc do T3 test? Maybe I need to go that route.

I called alternative med doc and its $220 for visit. I don't know if it would be worth the expense, huh? I have never been to one...what do you think?
    About the ASI... Here's a self-test of symptoms, by the manufacturer of the test. [url="http://www.diagnostechs.com/body_text/tests/asi/asi_test_print.htm"]http://www.diagnostechs.com/body_text/tests/asi/asi_test_print.htm[/url]

I believe you can get the test, with a doctors phone consultation explaining the results to you. Look at the bottom paragraph on this page: [url="http://www.chronicfatigue.org/Ordering%20Information.html"]http://www.chronicfatigue.org/Ordering%20Information.html[/url]
    This doctor wrote a terrific book called Chronic Fatigue Unmasked, explaining about Adrenal Exhaustion (he believes that Chronic Fatigue and Adrenal Exhaustion are one & the same, though not all doctors would agree).

When I got my first ASI done, it was through my Naturopath, which is cheaper than an MD (IMO, the best Naturopaths are those who have gone to Bastyr University in Seattle). My Naturopath is a terrific diagnostician - I don't know if they are all that good. But Naturopaths are an option.

You almost need a holistic/alternative MD to check your T3. I have never know any other doctor besides the holistic kind who will test T3. In my case, my holistic MD was referred to me by my Naturopath. If you have impaired adrenals, chances are that your T3 will be low. T3 is the thyroid hormone that has to do with concentration, mood, body temp. At least when I tried T3 pills in addition to Synthroid, those are the symptoms that noticeably improved.

To make a long story just a little longer... I would say that my best advice to you is to find some sort of holistic/alternative doctor (holistic MD or Naturopath, or possibly Homeopath). Have that person evaluate your symptoms, and mention the T3 and adrenals to him/her. If they don't know about T3 or the ASI test, they may not be of use to you. Also, it's hard to treat yourself, especially in the early stages when you don't exactly know what is wrong. I would hold off on the DHEA until the test tells you that you need it.

D.

Closed Thread