It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Increased Synthroid causes headaches - how long will they last?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
FunBlink
(male)

FunBlink HB User
Increased Synthroid causes headaches - how long will they last?

I was on 100 mcg of synthroid for 8 years with no side effects. My doctor just increased my synthroid to 125 mcg based on labs. Within a day I had severe migraine like headaches to the point I had to take 2 days off of work.

Doctor lowered dose to 112 mcg and I've been on this dose for 3 days still experiencing headaches but a little less painful.

Will the headaches eventually quit and if so, how long did it take for your headaches to stop?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Re: Increased Synthroid causes headaches - how long will they last?

Dear FunBlink,

I don't think anyone can know for sure when the headaches may stop or if they are directly related to low thyroid or the type of thyroid med. You may need to take the thyroid increase for a few weeks to know if your levels become balanced. Do you take it in the morning with water on an empty stomach?

I get headaches when my thyroid level is too low. I can't tolerate the synthetic thyroid hormone, so I use Nature Throid.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
FunBlink
(male)

FunBlink HB User

Thank you for the reply. I do take it in the morning with water and do not eat or drink anything else for 1 hour past taking it.

I am starting to think my body is no longer compatible with synthroid and I am going to have to try a different medication.

Where can I find information about Nature Throid?

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User

You're welcome.

As mentioned you may need to take the dose for a few weeks before you get the effect. The headache may not be from Synthroid at all. The body gets really stressed when the thyroid level is too low.

Read about Nature Throid on drugs.com. Also search for natural thyroid replacement and you will find all sorts of information. Try to stick with well known and medical info websites.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #5
FunBlink
(male)

FunBlink HB User

Thanks very much. I will explore the natural methods and stick with "normal" websites.

My headaches are gone now that I am back down to 100 mcg from 112 mcg. I see my dr in a few days to regroup on this issue. I do not have headaches on 100 mcg but it is not enough medication as I do have other symptoms - exhaustion, low energy, fatigue, always cold/chilly, etc.

I tried sticking on the 112 mcg for four days and headaches never let up. I could not stay on it any longer as I had to take several days off of work from the side effects.

My dr may opt to try a different prescription thyroid drug but I will discuss natural options with her too.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dear FunBlink.

It's great that the headaches are gone. I find that whatever is added to allow a patent usually negatively affects me, which is why I use natural substances as much as possible. Though not all substances agree with all people, anyway.

My doctor recently added pure T3 (cytomel) to my regular thyroid dose and it is making the needed difference.

I hope you check in and share what works for you.

Reply Reply

Tags
headache, hypothyroid, synthroid